LegacyGT.com

2016 Limited vs Premium

ninjadogg

Debating between a Limited and a Premium 2016 Legacy right now, trying to justify the $3k difference for myself. Can you guys help me make sure I've covered all the differences?

• Limited has Leather seating
    --(could just get custom fit leather seat covers, maybe)
  • Limited has Harman Kardon stereo
    -- either is fine with me, unless there are some feature differences other than the amp and speakers.... Are they essentially the same otherwise?
  • SmartKey w/ PIN Entry and pushbutton start
    -- Lets you keep the keys in your pocket and/or open the car w/o the key.
  • Limited has bigger wheels
    -- are tires generally more expensive on the 18's?
  • Rear A/C
    -- The car is pretty small... I don't have it in my RAV4....
  • Rear Heated Seats
    -- if it was COOLED seats, now that's a different story... :)
  • Anything that I missed, or any small details about the above?

Thanks everyone!

I have the 2016 Limited.

Leather seating covers don't quite fit as good as you might think and may look tacky over time. I hate fabric seats because I always manage to get static and shock myself every time I get out of the car. If you have smokers the fabric absorbs alot of the smell in general. That and if you have white castle burgers sitting in the car.

Theres quite a bit of difference between the HK system and the stock head unit. It just sounds much more crisp. You could change the Head unit and speakers but you may lose functionality with steering controls and car settings that can only be modified with the Subaru head unit. When I say car settings I mean interior lights and door locks.

Smartkey- Very convenient and don't know how I lived without it. I don't have to take the key out of my pocket. Just make sure you change the batteries every time you do an oil change. If it dies you may not be able to start the car.

Tires are generally more expensive with bigger wheels but most often referring to SUV tires. It also is more expensive if the tires are thinner. If you shop around you can find good quality tires for cheap.

Rear A/C: The car is big to me coming from a corolla and mini. I've sat in the back and its worth it.

Rear Heated Seats- It comes in handy if you do plan to have passengers in the back to add to their comfort for long cold trips. If not you can get by without it. To me the heated controls makes the car more luxurious.

Cooled seats: Heated seats tend to be more functional than cooled seats. Doesn't matter which brand makes it, they don't quite cool as much as you think. The only thing I wish is that it had a heated steering wheel as I live in the northeast.

In my opinion if you plan to keep the car till it dies then I think you should just fork over the extra money. With the AWD its very reliable and very price competitive for the features. If you plan to sell it, then stick with the premium.

If i missed anything the differences can be found here http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/legacy2016.html

Oh, this will be a non-smoking car, and hopefully no food in there, but given road trips, I can't guarantee it. Though we'll probably take the SUV more often on road trips... Oh and the kiddo, can't control the baby too much, lol!

What kind of settings change you change for the lighting and locks (and anything else)? Is this the same between both the Premium and the Limited? <-- Really curious about this.

Smartkey, I love the idea myself. Does this have a hidden keyblade in it? Also, the batteries in there should NOT be required for starting the car. Those transponders are not powered by batteries. Its just for the keyless functionality on the fob.

Rear A/C: I was reading in another thread (about adding vents to a Premium) that there isn't a whole lot of airflow to the rear. I figure just gotta share my front vents and aim them better. Thoughts?

Cooled seats: Still wish it was an option. I always get sweaty on long road trips. That way I won't have to blast the A/C and freeze everyone.... oh wait... DUAL ZONE! (Never had it before and can't wait!)

I agree that it's not that big a difference in price when you look at monthly payments. But having a kid in daycare right now really shrinks that budget.

Thanks for that link, BTW! I'd been there before, but kinda forgot about it. :)

In terms of the settings, the duration of how long the interior and welcome lights stay on and whether you unlock the driver door or all doors at once. Its not really an issue if you plan to keep the head unit stock. The ability to change settings should be the same in both premium and limited.

The fob has a hidden keyblade in it if your battery becomes dead and you have to unlock the door manually to jumpstart it. I hope your right and that the batteries in the transponder are not required to start the car cause that would suck.

Any rear A/C is better than nothing. You will just have to try it out in person and see if you agree with the threads. I wouldn't force hack a vent if the car didn't come with it unless you are handy with modifications.

The dual zone is pretty cool (no pun intended). Me and the wife are opposite. She gets hot while Im cold all the time. Comes in real handy when you don't have to fight over the thermostat.

If you have a kid you definitely have food in there. It just magically appears to ruin your interior. :p

The transponder chip definitely doesn't use battery. I swapped out my keyless access fob for a "switchblade" type flipkey on my RAV4, needed to cut out the chip from the old key case and pop it into the new one for it to work. It's most definitely not battery operated.

Yeah, I know about the food magically appearing. And if I take my dog to work...forget about it... but then I'd worry about the leather getting all scratched up.... I know, I know... to each, his own.... :spin:

Yep... No email from the dealership yet tho. Guess I'll have to call or something. He was pretty quick to respond years ago when we were shopping the Forester.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bought limited couple months ago, I drove before premium outback - I love limited if you have extra $$ go for it. i like smart key, rear AC also good for hot days... i'm not talking that custom leather for seats will cost a lot of money and never will fit perfectly... plus memory seats....

Went with the Premium! Got the last 2016 in the config I wanted, and can't be happier! Funny thing, I got an offer on a used Limited for a lower price right after I accepted the Prem. Would've been down at least a year on the warranty, though, so no big deal, as nice as it would've been to have those extra features. Super happy with the Premium so far!

Archived