LegacyGT.com

91 legacy L U-Joint part locator

Thanks for the info, good/bad? I just bought 2 Saturday on Ebay. I'll have to see what my mechanic says but he won't be back for a week.

In the meantime, any idea on where to get a used driver shaft?

Id just contact a wrecking yard. They can usually put out a inter wrecker search. I find the best stuff though at lil mom and pop wrecking yards

• 4 weeks later...

Pressing the joints in and out is the easy part. Penetrating oil and my $50 east Asian ball joint press have never let me down.

Centering the U joint is only to balance it. If you welded a strip of metal on one side of the shaft you wouldn't want to center the joint. If you can get the joint close enough to centered then the shaft can be balanced just like normal or if you're cheap and the shaft isn't too rusty to stay sealed you can media balance it (probably with motor oil).

There's probably an off the shelf internal snap ring joint that would fit if you do the mod for full circle snap rings and shim the joint properly. You'd be time ahead to just find a shop willing to change the U joints for cheap.

If you've got a good depth gauge and an afternoon with nothing to do you could definitely get the joints within a few thou of centered using a hammer along with a socket as a punch then tack weld the caps once it's centered (I'd avoid doing this with non-greasable joints).

Thanks arse_sidewwards,

My mechanic had to cut out the old U joint. The new one went in and so did the clips. Already drove it from Taos, NM to Colorado and now I'm in Dallas. So it is working fine. For him it was not that big of a deal. And for only $80. When I get back he will do the real U joint. And on top of that he is nearly blind. No, you cannot have his name. He's a keeper.

Now, what can you tell me about fixing the cruise control? Can't find a vacuum leak.

Archived