LegacyGT.com

A/C or Auto Climate Control Problem?

A/C has started doing weird things in my 07 SpecB.

Not sure if its A/C or something computer related with the auto climate control.

Occasionally, and not every day, put on particularly warm days like 70+ the A/C will come on, blow cold and hard for maybe 10 minutes, then turn off and blow HOT air. This is with the auto climate control set at anything, from 69-75. I have changed it around many times.

If I press OFF< then wait a minute, press auto, it will blow full fan super cold air with A/C on for about 10 seconds, then super HOT. Changing the temp, pressing A/C on or off, none of those things help. It will blow HOT air for ever then even when its in direct sun and its 90 degrees out, I can't get the A/C to come on again. UNLESS, If I turn the CAR off, wait 5 minutes and turn it on, it will blow super COLD again, and then stop after a few minutes and blow SUPER HOT. No A/C. Cant get A/C to come back on then.

Compressor problem? A/C clutch? Refrigerant problem? Or something computer related? Car started doing this about a month ago, A/C and everything always had been working awesome since 2007.

Anyone have any thoughts? Or anything I can do to diagnose the issue further? I checked codes with OBD2 and no codes, nothing weird in the engine data either.

Thanks

I had a similar issue with mine, ’08 Outback XT, and it ended up being the AC relay under the hood. I took it to the dealership and they could never get it to act up. It finally got to the point that turning the car off wouldn’t reset it and I was stuck with hot air blowing out. I looked and noticed that the sub fan relay and the AC relay were the same part so I switched them, AC worked fine. I ordered a new relay and have not had any issues for about a year now.

Yeah, the relay for the AC was bad.

I switched them, turned the car on and had cold air. To be sure I let the car run a bit the compressor turned on and off like it was supposed to, so I ordered a replacement relay online for about $7. I haven't had any issues since then.

Here is a link form Outback.org where they are talking about the same issue that I had and changing the relay.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/26071-c-intermittent-failure-flaky-relay.html

• 2 weeks later...

Archived