LegacyGT.com

Heater output

Hi All,

How is your heater output ?

Mine is only moderate. Have always flushed system and changed coolant every few years so cant imagine much corrosion , heater box flaps seem to work fine. Car only takes 3 miles to reach running temp . Thermostat is 77c , is there a cold climate version available of say 82c or would that screw up sensors ?

Heater works kinda OK but not hot ! How do you find yours ?

Blowing air fine. I removed pollen filter also .The rubber hose pipes going to heater core at the bulkhead are warmish not hot , and can feel difference in flow and return hose pipe temperatures. Water pump has only 6k miles. Have a feeling the thermostat opening temperature of 77c is too low , and was thinking of searching for an 82c but hoping it does not have side effects such as dreaded head gaskets . The engine always seems cold natured (better than running hot ) I know.

Thanks.

Seen the video . Did the flush with water hose , no crud came out and the water flowed freely . Thanks for the suggestion .

The area I live temperatures range between 20f winter to 70f summer . Does anyone know if there is a range of coolant thermostats ?

I'll check tomorrow at work if they make alternate temp options for the thermostats but subies really only like OEM quality or better

Another thing to check is if the door actuator opens up all the way.

I have first had experience with these subarus not liking non oem t-stats. Got a cheap one last summer and it worked for less then 6 months. Went bad in the middle of the biggest snow storm of the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Rumble. Yes that was my search result also and 172 equals 77c. The only thing I found was an 82c spurious make , however i think i will pass it. I might get a new 170f genuine Subaru thermostat just in case mine is faulty after 16 years service.

Again my heater performance is not really too bad and does not justify pulling the dash and core out. I will reply how I get on with a new 170f thermostat in a while.

Thanks

Archived