LegacyGT.com

05 Leggy tranny swap into 98 LGT

I've got a technical question for anyone that might know:

I am currently putting an 05 Legacy manual transmission into my 98 LGT. The only problem I've run into is that the axles aren't fitting. Does anyone know what axles I can use that would be interchangeable? I know I can change out the hubs but I'm trying to do a cheaper option

• 2 weeks later...
I've got a technical question for anyone that might know:

I am currently putting an 05 Legacy manual transmission into my 98 LGT. The only problem I've run into is that the axles aren't fitting. Does anyone know what axles I can use that would be interchangeable? I know I can change out the hubs but I'm trying to do a cheaper option

First things first; the 05 Legacy trans will have male style axles (plug into the trans), 98 LGT uses female style axles (plug into output shaft and have a roll pin lock).

Don't change your hub because it's more work and they are the essentially the same, so there is no benefit for the work.

The 05 Leggy axles will be wider than what is on your 2nd Gen Leggy, in my experience swapping different transmissions into different chassis Subaru's, what should work because the wheel base is narrow are 05-07 Impreza wagon axles. They will also be the male style axles and plug right into the transmission and your hub without issue. ** One thing to check is that the sensors work with your 98 LGT, i.e. reverse and speedo, because I know on the newer manual transmissions the abs sensor drives the speedo **

For example; on my 04 WRX I am running a 2010 WRX trans (almost identical to 05 LGT trans) with 06 WRX Sedan axles. Reason being is 04 WRX uses female axles, so those couldn't be reused, the 2010 WRX axles fit the trans but were too long and didn't have the abs ring on them. The alternative is finding a suitable axle that fits between the hub and trans while attached to both with the new trans in place. A little trial and error but easily overcome.

Archived