LegacyGT.com

Suspension woes... still clunking after replacing bushings and balljoints

rnstein69

Check these items:

1. Top hat nuts properly torqued
  2. Top had center nut properly torqued (you have to hold the shaft in place and simultaneously turn the nut)
  3. Spring perches properly oriented during reassembly
  4. End links (bushings and proper torque)
  5. Sway bar busings and proper torque on mounts
  6. LCA rear and forward bushings and torqued
  7. Axle nut properly torqued (if these are not original hub bearings
  8. Wheels (and rotor) properly seated and torqued
  9. Brake calipers proper torque
  10. Brake pads properly installed
  11. Engine mounts properly torqued
  12. Trans mounts properly torqued

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

My guesses would be inner or outer tie rods, ball joints, top hats. If the ride is bumpy then try adjusting the stiffness setting on your struts. I'm not familiar enough with the adjustable Koni's but bouncy means it's not doing its job and needs to be replaced if changing to "hard"doesn't help.

There aren't too many things that will cause a clunk just by turning the wheel but a thud while braking concerns me. Do you have any wheel bearing play? Double check all bolts related to your brakes to make sure they are tight. Just to know for sure, jack your car up slightly on the pinch rail (just enough to get the tire a couple inches off the ground), then slide a pry bar under the tire and lift up to see if you have any play.

I may be a little too far South, but if you are ever close to Northern Delaware I will gladly look at it for you.

"Snug" isn't what you should be going for here. If you're troubleshooting a noise, you should have a torque wrench handy to make sure everything is to spec.

Have you tried disconnecting your sway bar(s) and driving around? Easy way to eliminate that section (bushing, end links) as a possibility.

• 4 weeks later...
Any update here? I installed Konis/H&R's 2 days ago. Drove 10 miles home from my buddy's shop, they felt excellent, and had no noises of any kind. The next morning, clunking on the driver's side, while turning to the right. Also, if I stand on the driver's side and push down on the hood, it clunks when I push down to compress the strut. It doesn't make any noise when I let the car back up. Only when pushing down. I was also able to replicate the noise when baking up straight, and hitting the brakes. The Konis have less than 1000 miles on them. New sway bar, bushings, and brackets were put on 2 weeks ago. My LCA bushings are bad, which is typical, but the noise is clearly coming from the strut.

Archived