LegacyGT.com

Intermittent starting problem

I have a 99 Legacy Outback with an intermittent starting problem. Every now and then when I try to start the car the starter just clicks and doesn't turn over the motor. I replace the starter and also had the starter bench tested and it tested good. I had a new key made from the dealership because mine was a little loose in the ignition new key fits tightly. I pulled out my multi-meter and started checking voltage the only thing that I could find that was odd was the S terminal to the starter doesn't always get 12 volts when I turn the key. If the wire is not connected to the starter all always get 12 volts, but with it connected I don't always get the 12v. Any thoughts? Any good ways of testing the ignition switch? Can I just replace the back part of the ignition switch without replacing the key?

Yes I've had the battery and alt tested at the local parts store. It's not making a rapid click when I try to start like it does when your battery is dead. Just a single click when I turn the key.

@RustyRuu wiggle what cables? It will start after turning the key a bunch. Sometimes if I hold it in the start position.

@RumbleRumble what ground you thinking? Cleaned batt and stater ground already

i had an older 96 with bad wires. once you got that click you just go jiggle on the battery cables sometimes the starter cables, and it would start right after. never fixed it because that always worked

you have a lot of info and it just seems like some of the power is just lost for some reason to the starter.

this is happening in an 09 forester im playing with (but i've never checked for power loss) and hasn't done the no start click for a while i usually just smack on it with a piece of wood and hammer since it doesn't happen too often. seems to work.

but if its a turning the key a bunch sort of thing it might just be sticking and need some nice lube. have you tried the rebuild yourself instead of buying rebuilt ones?

Archived