LegacyGT.com

Line Out Converter and System Install Help

slowurroll

I have been searching and reading up on this trying to figure out how to get my speakers to sound better along with adding an amp and sub. First question is why is there a need for 2 line out converters? I haven't found anything that points to why. I planned on picking up a 4 channel LOC but I'm not sure where the second one comes into play.

Also, for the sub and amp installation, if I am wanting better sound quality for my speakers, do I need to look at running a multi channel amp to accomplish this? Or will using the LOC with a mono amp be plenty. In past vehicles I have only ever ran mono amps and have had success but I was also able to run an aftermarket deck a lot easier than I can in my Legacy so it was never a problem.

I'm not looking to go overboard but definitely want an upgrade over the stock system.

If you're running an amp for your speakers you need a 4 channel amp as each door is a channel.

Front left

Front right

Rear left

Rear right

You only need 2 LOCs if they are each 2 channel LOCs. The point is that your 4 channel amp will have an RCA cable for each speaker. If you plan on buying a 4 channel LOC then it should output 2+2 RCA outputs that will go to the different inputs on your amp and you're good with just the 1. If you were to use only a single 2 channel loc then you would no longer be able to adjust the balance/fade on each speaker in your car from your headunit. That's my understanding of it anyway. I'm waiting for 2 2-channel LOCs from amazon at the moment so I can install my 4 channel amp. I have limited experience with this stuff so maybe a more experienced member can chime in but maybe that will point you in the right direction. If there's a way to do it with just a mono amp I've never heard about it.

Sorry for the delay guys.

Failbot, I have the standard system.

Shogun are you going to try running an amp for a sub as well? Or are you just running an amp for your speakers? Ideally I'd like to re-amp all 4 speakers (which sounds like 1 4 channel LOC would do the trick for those) and run anot amplified sub.

So would my best option be to get a multichannel amp, run a total of 6 channels through a LOC and have RCA's for all 4 speakers plus the sub/amp combo?

I have the OEM sub so it's a powered sub that doesn't need an amp. My amp is just for the speakers in the 4 doors. Sorry I can't really help if you were to add a sub other than the OEM, I haven't really had too much experience in the car audio world. That said there's an OEM sub with a harness in the classifieds right now for $100

Well it all depends on what exactly you want out of your system then. Each loc will be for a set of rca jacks (left & right audio). If you're just adding a sub then only one is needed. If you are adding a 4 channel amp for mids & highs then you need 2 loc's or a 4 channel loc. This gives you the same fade and balance controls you have now. If you are adding a 4 channel and a sub amp then you can do a couple things. You could still use a 4 channel loc and use a set of rca y adapters/splitters so you can parallel the rear signal for both the rear speakes and the sub amp. Or you could get a more expensive converter like an audio control LC7i. If you want you could do something like an alpine power pack for a 4 channel (doesn't require loc's) that will give a nice little boost for your mids/highs and then one loc for a sub amp. The power pack can be installed behind the dash without the need for an amp install kit.

Well the plan is to add a sub/amp and re-amp the speakers as well. So I would almost assume I would be looking at something like a 6 channel LOC or a combination of LOC's to be able to have enough RCA's.

I am new to using LOC's as I've always replaced the whole stereo when running any aftermarket audio equipment. That being said, do the RCA's that come out of the LOC run to a multichannel amp? I would assume for the sub they would but I would have to guess that it would be the same for the RCA's for the speakers, correct? Or am I way out in left field? Haha.

Oh. I also watched a sonic electronix youtube video yesterday on installing a LOC and they were using I believe a 4 or 6 channel LOC with a 6 channel amp to run the speakers and sub and were going to bridge channels 5 and 6 on the amp (yet they didn't show that part in the video). Is that essentially how it would work? Or I guess if I'm using a 4 channel amp I can use the RCA y-splitter to hook up the rears together to the amp.

They also had a section of the video after they cut the wires coming out of the stereo harness and hooked up the LOC, they ran a "9-wire" from the other end of the cut wires to the amp. But they didn't really explain why or show the process of hooking those up on the opposite end.

Thanks for all the help.

Well if you are looking to amp everything or at least eventually, then determine your budget. There are cheap loc's and expensive ones. If you plan on keeping the oem deck forever and want it to sound the best it can, invest in an loc something like I mentioned like audio control. If it's temporary until a deck, get a 4 channel cheapo loc and use a set of rca splitters to get "6" outputs of audio. 2 would be the front and 4 would be the rear (2 for rears and 2 for sub). All an loc does is take the high level output from the deck and turn it into a low level output to go into the amplifier. This is what the rca connections already are on an aftermarket deck. Except most aftermarket decks that have 6 channel rca outputs have individual control of each set as far as crossovers and sub level control. You can pretty much do this all for an oem deck too with all the right equipment.

I didn't watch the video but, if they ran a 9 wire cable, it was most likely 8 speaker wires which make up 4 channels of + & - for the amp of the mids/highs and the remote turn on for the amplifier's. The remote is what turns power on and off on the amplifier when you turn the deck or car off. So the speaker wires all get cut in half. The wires deck side go into the loc's, get converted to low level and go to the amp input. The outputs of the amp connect to the 8 wires, go back up to the front and connect to the wires that go out to the speakers. The better the loc, the better the signal conditioning. Cheap loc's work but, they are basic basic basic to get the job done. High end loc's have circuitry to condition the signal and give you the best possible outcome of your source.

I'm sure I may have missed some things that others can fill in. I've been out of car audio for years now, so maybe a little rusty and not up to speed.

I think that last bit gives me about the best answer I was looking for. I have no plans to replace the deck due to the fact that I have the integrated digital hvac controls and have decided I don't want to spend $250+ on a new deck and the jdm kit on top of the sub and amp stuff. Way more than I want to put in when I will probably only have this care another 3 or so years.

Last question and I should be set. For the RCA's coming out of the LOC, I know a set will go to the amp for the sub, but I am assuming the others will go to the other channels on the amp as well for the speakers correct?

• 7 months later...
Here is a setup of how I installed my LOC using the rear door woofers. The LOC I used was a 2-channel LOC. The diagram shows the wiring to my HK amp harnesses. The LOC RCAs go out to my secondary dedicated mono subwoofer amp. This way I can still use my factory HU with all controls and get some more boom. Hope this helps the LOC discussion.

hk-ampout-to-LOC.png.04dec1f9f50c6fb38c9a9d191d361a2d.png

Archived