LegacyGT.com

5EAT valve body

Kamen

I recently had some malfunction in the 5EAT of my '08 OBXT (TCM trouble codes) and after some research (i.e., how fragile the VB can be) I decided to let the dealership replace the entire valve body. I asked them to return to me the old VB and I now have it at home. Given how people are trying to sell their old VB, and how tuners are asking for hundreds of dollars for cores when they do their upgrades, I figured I'd email some of them and ask them if they wanted to buy it from me. I got one response stating that they had enough cores, and another that expressed some interest, but then, after I answered their questions, I never heard from them anymore.

I realize that when you do a lot of upgrades, you may want to have a mechanism for ensuring a quick turnaround, but when you ask for a $700 core charge that quickly dwindles down as the core return is delayed, I figured it might be best to have some backups, especially when you can obtain those at a much lower price. I also realize that there might be some defect in my VB (probably the second speed sensor or just the wire/connector), but then again, how can you bank on the customer's VB being perfect? You have to be able to inspect and repair it, and since you are upgrading it, you would have probably replaced those parts, anyway. It just doesn't make sense to me that they couldn't find a need for a low-priced used VB.

Even for individuals it would make sense to get one and send it as a core while they take their time replacing the upgraded one, and keeping their old VB as a backup, rather than risking their refund diminishing because they got busy and couldn't do the swap on time.

Anyway, I had to get this off my chest. And on the off-chance that anyone is interested in buying my VB, just PM me an offer.

Kamen

Archived