LegacyGT.com

Shift lever question

Hey buddies, first post here.

The 5 speed manual trans on my 2000 L sedan went bad so i got one from a 99 outback and swap it.

Everything seems to be fine and everything bolts right on but... Yesterday i went for a test drive and 4th and 5th did not engage, no grinding or funny sounds in the trans. Seems like the shift lever is disconnected as it is way too loose, this situation leaves me with a lot of questions.

Does the shift mechanism in the 99 outback and the 00 sedan are the same?

Do i need to swap the shift mechanism as well?

Does new shifter joint/bushings will fix the problem?

Any suggestions? Advice?

Thanks a lot in advice buddies.

usdm legacy's would have been different between 99 and 00 (second gen. to third gen.) idk about outbacks. there may be different parts you needed off your other transmission to swap to the new one(shiftier bushing/linkage).

i would suggest you post this in the second gen. section also to get more input.

maybe call out Johnegg another member here. he's knowledgeable about things that changed between the years, and swaps, and damn near everything.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I was aware about 99 and 00 been different generations but everything looked so similar that i decided to give it a try. I was looking at the service manuals for both cars and looks like there is a spring that i am missing. http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160518/fc0c762d99c7ef42cc019ad01f9d3ce6.jpg

Anyway i'll recheck the shifter assembly just to make sure i am not missing anything else.

I also swap the differential due to trans being 4.11 final ratio and my stock trans was 3.90, new exedy clutch kit and resurfaced flywheel, i mention all of this because i may did something wrong in the process and any input will be helpful guys.

Archived