LegacyGT.com

Hey, Really quick! Valve related question.

So, if anyone was paying attenton to my thread in the N/A technical forum...

Here

I'm having trouble tracking down a noise that I don't think is knocking but I can't really tell what else it is. Only heard under load up to around 3K and really quiet.

I'm doing my valve cover gaskets and some plugs/wires this afternoon. I noticed some slop in the rocker arms. Could that cause a faint knocking noise?

I'll go take a vid and get it posted ASAP.

Anyone have a quick link on adjusting the rocker arms (pretty sure that's valve lash?) Also, what feeler gauges should I buy..

Anyways, Quick is appreciated as the car is apart in the driveway and light is fading.

And THANKS in advance.

you definitely should adjust your valve clearance while you have your rocker covers off.

they do start to become ticky when they fall out of spec, shouldnt cause a knock though

on the sohc EJs its easy, you need to remove the small section of timing belt cover on the drivers side and you use the arrows on the cam sprocket.

arrow at 12 o clock is TDC for the number 1 cylinder

3 oclock for number 3 cylinder

6 o clock for number 2 cylinder

9 o clock for number 4 cylinder

you need to follow firing order if you have your timing belt on. (easier with it on).

idk why the values of the specs change but heres what i have.

2000-2005 non turbo

intake .007-.009in

exhaust .009-.011in

2006 non turbo

intake .006-.0010in

exhaust .008-.012in

just to show more numbers heres some turbocharged models specs, they have a completely different head set up so this wont help you but might help someone else.

intake .006-.010in

exhaust .0012-.016in

2005-2006

intake .007-.009

exhaust .013-.015

part #25025 from vatozone

oem feeler gauge goes down to.0015 lowest one i've found.

So,

I ended up just cleaning up engine bay parts the other day since it was almost dark here.

After that I had last minute family stuff all weekend and wasn't really around my PC.

I did pick up the correct feelers but they are short... I'm kind of worried about reaching the 2 rear cylinders with them. Specially the drivers side.

Since I've been back, it's done nothing but rain here so I'm just waiting on a break in the weather.

arrow at 12 o clock is TDC for the number 1 cylinder

3 oclock for number 3 cylinder

6 o clock for number 2 cylinder

9 o clock for number 2 cylinder

This is pretty much the information I was looking for (referring to your entire post) But you have cyl 2 listed 2 times -_-.

I found a video in English I'm gonna watch.

If I get lost on which valves are intake or exhaust I'll set them both to .009 since that seems to be good for both.

Thanks again guys! Hopefully this will be done and I'll loose the pecking after slap.

Archived