LegacyGT.com

Trouble starting 2000 GT

bmart

Howdy folks,

I've got a 2000 Legact GT with 81k miles on it. All proper maintenance has been done. Every once in a while when I fill up the gas tank the car starts "differently" than normal, taking a second to catch and start. This happens only this one time then goes back to normal.

Last week this same scenario happened. Since then, the car has been very hard to start, turning over for 2-20 seconds, sometimes without starting at all. if I turn off the key, then try it again, it start almost right away, but not normally (one turn to start).

Fuel pump fuse is fine. Car runs fine. It does seem to be using more fuel than normal, but I did trailer with part of this tank full.

I am planning to check the plugs for dampness or discoloration, but they have only 20k miles on them. I'm not sure what to check next. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Brad

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
After 6k miles it is still acting exactly the same. If I turn the key long enough to let the pump cycle twice, it starts. If not, it is hit or miss. A few folks have suggested the check valve in the fuel pump, which would seem applicable. If it were brushes, would it not be getting worse? Also, would it not be effected by cycling the pump twice? Thanks.

Archived