LegacyGT.com

getting pins out of connector plugs

scottmcphee

..anybody got experience with method of getting individual pins out of the plug connectors, found all over the car, but the one I'm most interested in is a plug at the Engine Control Module ECM...

shown over in this thread, cross-posting I know..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/getting-pins-out-ecm-ecu-plugs-252651.html

..anybody got experience with method of getting individual pins out of the plug connectors, found all over the car, but the one I'm most interested in is a plug at the Engine Control Module ECM...

shown over in this thread, cross-posting I know..

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/getting-pins-out-ecm-ecu-plugs-252651.html

i do. ive made many connectors in my day as well. have done fiber optic too. went to a cable facility one and took a class on it all.

haha. but your picture isnt enough. sometimes you need a pin extractor tool. on the side of the connector is usually a symbol or name or initials of the company that makes them.

digikey or even calling up the manufacture can give you the mating part to disassemble that connector.

it can be easy to pull a wire out when trying to pull pins. there are way too many man and error % is super high. let alone you never done it before.

i need to see inside the pin area and all 4 corners of the connector. but judging by the density of then its an internal lock mechanism. some connectors have lock pins you can push in from the out side.

if internal like i think you will need the mating pin extractor tool.

http://www.sfcable.com/images/products/500-200_01.jpg

I have found this catalog page, this looks like the family of connectors used on my car:

http://www.te.com/usa-en/product-1-1376430-8.html#pdp-docs-features

Phillip - you can see the connectors we're talking about by lifting the carpet on the passenger floorboard, and behind that metal shield (4 bolts holding it down) is the ECU.

I am getting good at covering and uncovering the ECU to get its various connectors for testing.

Today, I'm getting a couple FLuke wire insulation piercing probes so I can attach my meter to various car wires to get voltage and ohms readings.. I should have gotten these piercing probes long ago with all the electrical work I've done on cars in my life.

i read a little bit man. you have this spread out in 3 different posts. was hard to find this one a second time.

see you made a lot of progress.

if you got the right tools etc. do NOT pull the wire out with too much force. a few possible things can happen. can bend the lock and the metal fatigue will be rediculously high. can pull the insulation through or can pull the entire wire out. just be super careful and take your time.

what we did in the past was put some solder on the wire clamp portion of the connecter. that way at least the wire never came out.

yeah. the super sharp leads are good for poking through conformal coat as well. by far they are my favorite style.

sometimes the inside of the female connector can slighlt bend. many work by a type of spring pressure and the spring can close a little making for a looser fit. im not sure your connector pin style but its something to look for if you want to go full OCD.

youve done some good progress man. good luck.

guilty of spreading out ... I sometimes hit on different groups, because I don't know sometimes people only hang in certain places. Figuring need to catch an eye if not getting any responses.

I did find a 3D movable image of the pins, and posted in that other thread.. I see what you mean about pin design

instead of trying to fix a female pin by bending her spring or whatever, I'm ordering new pins and will have them tomorrow and will crimp new ones on. And solder.

I'm a crimp and solder kind of guy.

Redundancy is good. You can tell by how many threads I update on the same topic :)

Archived