LegacyGT.com

Help with intermittent hesitation problem

We have a 2002 Legacy GT wagon, with 2.5 NA engine, 5 speed manual trans.We are getting an occasional hesitation, which occurs when accelerating from a stop, or while cruising on the highway.It has been happening for a while, but getting more frequent. I have changed the plugs, checked the air filter, replaced the neutral switch. The head gaskets and timing belt were changed about 40,000 miles ago. The car has about 186000 on it now. I checked the fuel pressure, it is 34psi at idle, goes up to 39 when revving the engine, then drops down to 34 again. I watched a video that said to pinch the vacuum line from the fuel pressure regulator, but I'm not sure where that is on the car! I am open to any suggestions as to where to check next.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mike

I'm also experiencing something similar to my 2000 Legacy L wagon EJ25/5 speed MT, 197,000 miles. My timing belt was changed 50k miles ago, and spark plugs changed 6k miles ago (NGK V-Power). The car revs up as I'm accelerating from a spot and around 3k RPM in 3rd the car does a quick jerk like I'm missing a few cycles in a row of the plug(s) firing.

• 3 weeks later...

Could be the motor or the trans mount.

My trans mount was blown when I got the car with 87.5k miles on it. The new Group N trans mount was the best upgradge I did on the car even my friends noticed the better pick on the car. Everyone with a 5-speed should get it.

Motor will be bad if the engine shakes a lot on start up. With my brother's car I could shake the engine with my hands. Try reversing up hill you will get a lot of shaking or vibration if its bad also. the rubber could be worn out even if the mounts are not ripped.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clean-mafiii-156085.html?t=156085

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/clean-maf-153796.html

so you should try cleaning your MAP/MAF (i forget what we actually have in these cars) but it should be on top of your intake after the throttle body.

remove it, clean it, and drive it like you stole it.

probably should reset the ecu first, disconnected the battery and pump the brakes 2-5 times and reconnect it (battery)...

should act stange till it relearns some things.

cost:

$0 if you have brake clean, gun cleaner, alcohol and q'tips, gasoline (you probably shouldn't use that but its one hell of a solvent), mineral spirits,

you know the drill by now.

Archived