LegacyGT.com

*FIRST POST* 1999 b4 rsk problem.

Hey guys,

This is my very first post in any forum anywhere, so please cut me some slack if I'm doing anything wrong. I dont have very good grammar skills also, so please bare with me here. :lol:

I have recently purchased a 1999 legacy b4 rsk. I will be completely honest, I don't know a whole lot about cars but I am eager to learn as much as I can. I have jumped head first into a world I know nothing about. I am a poor student with very limited income but this car just spoke to me and the price was right, so I had to have it. It was love at first sight... :wub:

When I purchased the car it had 94k km on it and is bone stock and from what I can tell was maintained fairly well from the previous owner(s). I have only put on 2k km's on it since I purchased it and I kind of baby it.

This morning I decided to go out for a drive and heard an awful noise coming from my engine. I was very surprised because the day before nothing was wrong with it and I drove it around for a few hours with no problems at all. So I decided to see what the problem was. I lifted up her skirt and tried to figure out where the noise was coming from. From what I can tell its coming from the belts. To me it sounds as if one of the bearings is broken. It's kind of a clicking/chirping noise. Once I go over 2000 rpm's the noise will go away but once I stop at a red light or let the car sit idle the sound comes back. I tried to upload a video but I wasn't able to...

So my problem is what can I do to repair this problem? Would I need to get a timing belt kit? My guess its a bearing off one of the tensioners From my research its possible to use a 2002 WRX usdm timing belt kit on a ej206 engine with no problems? The little information I have procured lead me to the TCKWP328A being a direct replacement option and would be a heck of a lot easier for me to find than an OEM kit from Japan. Is there any possibility of an easier way of fixing this problem?

Any information from the Legacy Gods would be greatly appreciated.

If you guys need any more information I will be quick to respond but just know that I am a complete noob when it comes to this sort of stuff. I will truly try my best to answer any questions you guys have.

Thank guys.

A loose belt.

Thanks for the reply.

I decided to take the matter into my own hands and see what I could do to fix the problem myself. I took a bottle of graphite spray and tried to get some into the bearings. It made quite a bit more quiet, maybe only a fraction of what it was. I have an appointment with a mechanic on Tuesday.

Do you think its safe to drive like that? If it is a loose belt it's probably coming from the A/C or something and not the timing belt itself.

Check your belts for any type of serious wear, such as dry rot, cracks, missing chunks. A bad belt is also very noisy. I've never dealt with this type of engine noise so that's about the best I can provide

Archived