LegacyGT.com

TPMS sensor solution for BBS RK wheels?

Muleski

I have a set of BBS RK wheels, which I ran on a 2005 LGT wagon. Perfect shape. They are from pre-TPMS days. I'm near Boston.

Our daughter has a mint 2008 Outback XT, and I shipped the wheels to her in Denver to use as her summer wheels. Completely "spaced" on the fact that her car has TPMS.

So she went to have them mounted, and of course the stock OEM sensors won't work with the BBS wheels, tire store had no solution, and will not mount the tires on the wheels, and then put them on her car. I get it. It's a big tire chain.

I'm inclined to have her get them mounted elsewhere, maybe enlist her brother to drop them off and pick them up, if they want to know the car, tell a white lie {his GF has a 3.0R, non TMPS}, then have him put them on her car, and just not use the TPMS. I know that's "wrong."

She tells me that the TPMS is really fickle anyways. She's pretty savvy, checks her tire pressure, etc. The light pops on quite a bit, often sensitive to temperature. So she's inclined to just cover the light with some well placed back electrical tape anyways, regardless of this latest deal.

Our son has offered to build a PVC tube, complete with a tire stem, to hold four sensors in her wheel well, so that the TPMS system is fooled into reading for seniors with the right pressure. Hadn't heard of that solution. Guess it works.

My real questions.......BBS tells me that the RK is a pre-TPMS design, and that it there is no way to install a TPMS sensor. Anybody know for sure if that's the case? The customer service rep was pretty young, and I could hear him searching through his answers online.

Anybody else installed sensors in these rims?

Last, any suggestions of a source who might know. Ideally I'd like to do the right thing and have the sensors in the wheels.

The wheels will look great on that car, and I hate to NOT use them.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Archived