LegacyGT.com

Cobb turbo inlet?

DGM_WAG

So i have tried to find some detailed installation instructions on the turbo inlet pipe for my 07 and I seem to get a lot of contradictory information on how to rout the tube for the PCV and what to unplug and what to cap off if anything at all. Cobb does not offer legacy specific instructions and Im kinda lost on the correct way to install it right now. I do have the upper intake off right now because my o-ring gaskets were rock hard and leaking really bad so at least everything is visible. I have tried using the search function already and it currently wont work for me for some reason so please don't beat me up about that.:) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

So let me get this straight - you are replacing your inlet with a Cobb inlet? It should just go in, mind you with a lot of finagling. Shouldn't be capping anything.

As far as the actual install of an inlet - I unbolted my turbo from the up pipe and downpipe. It's a LOT easier then to get the inlet into position and then shove the turbo into it, versus trying to get the inlet onto a stationary turbo.

Having your intake manifold off does make things significantly easier. Do you have a pic of what everything looks like right now?

The main issue is there special LGT instructions to remove the grey PCV diagnosis connector as a side note in the directions they give on the WRX instructions. I found that you need to unplug the PCV "sensor" and jump between the 2 wires. So if i do that what do i do with the hole were the sensor used to be and where does the end of the 1/2 inch line that is supplied that with the kit supposed to go on the engine side of things.

Am i just supposed to unplug the gray connector, jump it and reuse the white part to attach the long hose from the inlet? A lot of what I have read said I don't need to reuse the white part of the connector but without it that hose wont fit over the end. It might just be that obvious but without a clear answer I don't want to guess and put everything back together just to find out I was wrong.

pcv.thumb.jpg.6ca4c15b0af965181aa2e4cfa0f9daed.jpg

I literally just finished with this nightmare! Never again! It certainly helps to have another set of hands, it was designed to be installed by an octopus. My father helped me with my installation.

Its hard to tell in the video because the WRX layout is so different. I guess all i am trying to figure out is once I jump the plug and remove the white part of the PCV (as in the picture above) what do I do with the opening that is left behind and what is the purpose of 2ft section of hose that comes with the intake. I have all the other lines figured out, but even in the video he mentions the hard line from the PCV and says he will come back to it but never mentions it again. Maybe I have read into too many different opinions I am just so frustrated at this point i am just looking right past the obvious answer

You removed the line from the factory inlet, now you have to reconnect it to the Cobb inlet. All you are doing is removing the diagnostics sensor from the equation. It doesn't matter where you connect to the Cobb fittings, as long as everything that was removed from the factory inlet gets reconnected to the Cobb inlet. Its an anything goes type of situation, that's why the directions are so vague. My inlet (Tomioka Racing) didn't even come with directions.

I got it figured out and yes the directions are very vague. I was having to cross reference the Perrin installation instructions because Cobb doesn't supply any either. The main confusion was that everywhere I looked it said I had to remove and jump the gray connector and remove and discard the white/gray sensor. After talking with PIA it sounds like on some cars the diagnostic sensor is different and you cannot connect the hose without leaving it in place and it looks like mine falls into that category. It might be specific to late 07 and 08 cars. Leaving it in place is just fine since it's already a closed loop and won't effect anything, so having instructions for you to do anything with it on a LGT just leads to confusion. Really it only needs to be pulled and jumped on cars that have it located directly on the turbo inlet like on the WRX.

• 2 years later...

Installed COBB turbo inlet last night. I do not know how people install aftermarket inlets without taking the intake manifold off. To be clear, this is COBB part "724400-BK Turbo inlet".

Few things about the install:

1. the inlet goes on the turbo under the angle. Thus you have to cut the turbo end of the inlet to length under an angle as well.

2. the PCV hose that comes with COBB does not bend without blocking the airflow. I will have to find some 90 degree elbows to route it properly to connector on COBB inlet.

3. Do NOT cut the OEM vacuum hose (one under the intake) short to fit on COBB inlet. It was tempting because it gave an impression the inlet would fit length wise. Good thing I didn't cut the hose short, the OEM length is proper for when the inlet is in final position on the turbo.

4. Measure few times before you cut the turbo end of the inlet. As I said, it goes on turbo under an angle. you have to cut more on the side that is closer to center of the engine. I got it right eventually but patience is the key.

I will update once I have it tested on the running car.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Archived