LegacyGT.com

RPM jumping but slow acceleration

dmlcool70

Hi guys new to the site. This is my second Subaru, first turbo. I have a 2005 LGT 5MT stage 2 210K. A couple of weeks ago I was driving and my tach gauge was going up 2000-3000 rpm higher than normal under what I would consider normal driving conditions. The acceleration was slow. After doing a little research on here I did the plugs. No difference. Checked all hoses/ vacuum lines. Then took apart the turbo, there was zero shaft play or damage. Upon removal noticed small crack on wastegate side of turbo where the valve is. I replaced it with OEM wastegate. I also had to replace the turbo inlet hose with OEM one due to the rubber tearing when putting the clamp back on. Long story short I am still having the same issue with the rpms jumping up higher then normal. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Clutch, O2 sensor, different sensor?

It does accelerate but just not like it should. First and second feel semi fine but the other three gears it does not accelerate as it once used too. I have owned the car for two years. Since I have owned I personally have not changed it. Not sure when and if has even been done.

If the RPM increases but not the speed it's time for a new clutch.

Remember to replace throwout bearing and pilot bearing as well.

Notice that this requires either dropping the gearbox or pulling the engine.

(This should have gone in the 4th gen forum)

453747.png

When the clutch is dying, it will slip more easily in the higher gears (you can confirm this on the highway by trying to suddenly accelerate in 3rd or 4th). It should only get worse from here on until you replace it.

Here is a really, really basic introduction on bad clutches. It should provide enough info for you to tell if you need a new clutch or not. There are numerous other videos about detecting bad clutches on YouTube if this one doesn't do it for you.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7JJ_g2UuBI]How to Diagnose A Bad Clutch - EricTheCarGuy - YouTube[/ame]

Archived