LegacyGT.com

EJ20 1998 vs 2004 oil filter

Hi guys,

So today I changed the oil in my car, and the guy at the parts shop gave me an oil filter for an EJ20 engine for a 2004 Subaru, whilst mine is a 1998 EJ20 (1998 Legacy GT-B).

This is the one I had on before, which the parts catalogue recommends.

This is the one the guy at the shop gave me, which according to the same parts catalogue above fits an EJ20 engine for 2004 Legacy.

Comparing the two, the only difference is the Z495 filter looks to enable higher flow and has a very slightly larger seal ring. I took the seal ring off the old one and compared it to the size of the filter mount and eye-balling it seemed that a slightly larger one could still fit there and seal quite nicely.

Long story short, being the lazy bastard I am, I just fitted the Z459 filter, ran it for 15 minutes, saw it didn't leak and called it a day..

Do you guys think it's pretty negligible or should I go back asap and get the recommended filter?

Thanks,

Chris

Either one will be fine. The stock oem blue filters [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Subaru-Oil-Filters-Washers-Pack/dp/B007NLQO0O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1460788851&sr=8-1&keywords=subaru+oil+filter]Amazon.com: Subaru, Subaru Oil Filters & Washers - 6 Pack: Automotive[/ame] are smaller then the Purolator ones you can buy from the shops here. I've used both but prefer the piece of mind and pricing of using the OEM ones

Archived