LegacyGT.com

Cooling System Questions following Timing Belt

Hey All,

Roughly 4k miles ago I completed the replacement of my timing belt, water pump, & accessory belts on my 2005 LGT 2.5 limited w/ the Gates timing kit + OEM water pump, thermostat, & gaskets.

Since completion, I have noticed the radiator fans seems to kick on early and often when the AC is on. I have not had any issues with overheating, but it seems like they like to kick on and run for a few seconds more frequently then before. It is noticeable enough that I keep my AC off until its needed (which used to not be an issue). Secondly, (and not sure if related) I park on a downhill slope overnight and when I turn the car on after sitting all night I can hear liquid gushing/running through the engine. The sound seems to subside when the car warms up, possibly due to coolant expansion at temp. No leaks have been detected and I have burped the coolant system twice with a funnel attachment yet the sound persists.

Could both of these issue be related to the OEM thermostat that was replaced during the timing belt replacement? No CEL's since replacement, no loss of power.. just some funny noises.

Hoping I can get some insight, and praying I don't have to get back in there and mess with the thermostat.

Thanks for reading!

Hey All,

Roughly 4k miles ago I completed the replacement of my timing belt, water pump, & accessory belts on my 2005 LGT 2.5 limited w/ the Gates timing kit + OEM water pump, thermostat, & gaskets.

Since completion, I have noticed the radiator fans seems to kick on early and often when the AC is on. I have not had any issues with overheating, but it seems like they like to kick on and run for a few seconds more frequently then before. It is noticeable enough that I keep my AC off until its needed (which used to not be an issue). Secondly, (and not sure if related) I park on a downhill slope overnight and when I turn the car on after sitting all night I can hear liquid gushing/running through the engine. The sound seems to subside when the car warms up, possibly due to coolant expansion at temp. No leaks have been detected and I have burped the coolant system twice with a funnel attachment yet the sound persists.

Could both of these issue be related to the OEM thermostat that was replaced during the timing belt replacement? No CEL's since replacement, no loss of power.. just some funny noises.

Hoping I can get some insight, and praying I don't have to get back in there and mess with the thermostat.

Thanks for reading!

hehe. afaik this happens every time the a/c is on. it sounds like 100% normal operation.

but the water rushing sounds like air in the cooling system. best to bleed the air out.

hehe. afaik this happens every time the a/c is on. it sounds like 100% normal operation.

but the water rushing sounds like air in the cooling system. best to bleed the air out.

So I used a radiator cap w/ funnel attachment (forgetting the name currently) and ran it for 25 mins so the car would warm up and cycle the fans on and off. Watched the funnel for bubbles which had almost completely ceased before turning it off. Would I have a more successful bleed of the system by following these instructions?

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/coolant-change-90389.html

Also, is it possible that air in the coolant lines could be affecting the thermostat causing it to trigger the radiator fans early and often?

Thanks!

Archived