LegacyGT.com

thinking about a 5MT BH but the mod bug is BIG

Alright so I have/had a 2008 LGT Spec.B, after 3 years I decided I don't want car payments and sold it. (new owner takes ownership tomorrow). there is a 2002 BH LS near me for sale for $3k it is in great shape, new head gaskets, belts, clutch. it looks solid, but I LOVE TO MOD and a 3rd gen is a whole new game. Not looking for a whole lot of power mods because my plan is to locate and secure a EJ20TT on my next trip to Japan to visit family and swap sometime next year, ideally I'd get a whole front clip.

What I want to know is the mods I can do to keep my mod bug happy, things like suspension, exterior, lighting etc. maybe headers, intake, you know, for the rumble.

You'll need better lights. The OE Subaru 3rd gen lights are pretty terrible.

Yeah, i've been debating just getting Osram's or splurging and doing the work for some JDM Kouki's?? I think that's what the HID's are called.

Suspension - KYB Struts with H&R springs

Exterior- JDM parts, 17x7 wheels if you run stock suspension

Lighting- Yellow fogs, change dash bulbs and LED the inside lights and puddle lights

Rumble- Borla makes some great stuff.

Anyone you know get the GT-B's Bilsteins? What do they think? I was thinking of going a very JDM route for the suspension, Bilsteins and maybe some STI pinks or something similar.

I heard pink sti springs ride like crap with 3rd gen oem struts. Not sure how good they are with bilsteins. Bilsteins are hard to find.

Yeah? I wouldn't want to try running them on stock 3rd gen struts. As far as sourcing JDM parts, I have my connections :cool:. I visit Family in the Kansai area of Japan 3 times a year, I like to spend my free time getting familiar with shops and any groups car groups.

I see Upgarage has alot of cusco and Tein coilovers, as well as Bilsteins. Bilsteins are usually more beat up.

They are, I've been thinking it wouldn't be a bad route to try the Cusco coilovers and maybe some 16" or 17" BBS.

I'm looking at a couple wagons tomorrow, one only has 64k on it but the asking price is like a 4th gen GT and if I'm spending that much, I'd just get a 4th gen wagon :spin:

Something like these.

607667675_BBS16.png.20e393ac64e72b7bae5762078d239f49.png

Yeah, i've been debating just getting Osram's or splurging and doing the work for some JDM Kouki's?? I think that's what the HID's are called.

The JDM "kouki" (kouki means late model, or refresh IIRC) are HID but they don't use a projector. I'd recommend just retrofitting an HID projector into a USDM housing.

Yeah? I wouldn't want to try running them on stock 3rd gen struts. As far as sourcing JDM parts, I have my connections :cool:. I visit Family in the Kansai area of Japan 3 times a year, I like to spend my free time getting familiar with shops and any groups car groups.

US EBay always has a few set of 00-04 JDM Bilsteins. They run around $500 shipped for a complete setup.

US EBay always has a few set of 00-04 JDM Bilsteins. They run around $500 shipped for a complete setup.

oooooh, that's not too bad. The lady works for JAL and I can fly for $FREE to the Rising Sun and back but even then the cost for some over there isn't much less than that so it's a tempting idea.

Take a look on Yahoo Auctions Japan, or some Up Garage shops near where your family lives. Bilsteins are dirt cheap over there for the BE/BH chassis. They be easily found for $50-100 for the whole set. The tricky part is getting them back to the states.

Honestly, the used part market for the BE/BH cars are drying up over in Japan as most of the cars are either being exported or scrapped due to their age and relative value.

Also, there are a good number of differences between the North American market and the rest of the world when it comes to 3rd gen parts. I have two heavily Japanese part-swapped BEs in my driveway, and I have run into a good number of issues over the years getting stuff to fit/look good.

Archived