LegacyGT.com

Projector Retrofit Cutoff Question

Does this look right? I put the projector together by itself with an H1 bulb. It's not in the headlight yet, this is just the projector wired up to a power source. The cut off looks a lot thinner, like the bottom is higher than it should be to me. This is compared to the halogen projector, which is just an H7 wired up in the normal projector and is in the headlight housing. Is that normal or did I assemble something wrong? Is the shield supposed to be flipped down?

edit: Left is stock, right is retrofit. I know it's difficult to see the bottom part of the left picture I'll try to get a better one.

387302162_H7HIDHalogenHousing.thumb.jpg.62289f958c41a317b24ef4f561239123.jpg

1566057517_H1HIDTRSHousing.thumb.jpg.21815aaf47be677b5e166f238c5e7974.jpg

I looked at the projector again and the shield is in the up position normally. When I energize the highbeam wires the shield flips down. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around. I'm confused :confused:

This is it with the wires not energized.

44d3f5ae-a680-4220-9abe-849e152a3c90.jpg.6daa6de65f24e67e4101bf7d88d489ac.jpg

Does this look right? I put the projector together by itself with an H1 bulb. It's not in the headlight yet, this is just the projector wired up to a power source. The cut off looks a lot thinner, like the bottom is higher than it should be to me. This is compared to the halogen projector, which is just an H7 wired up in the normal projector and is in the headlight housing. Is that normal or did I assemble something wrong? Is the shield supposed to be flipped down?

edit: Left is stock, right is retrofit. I know it's difficult to see the bottom part of the left picture I'll try to get a better one.

The picture on the right looks about normal. You actually don't want a ton of light in the immediate foreground: It makes it more difficult for your eyes to adjust to things that are farther out, and anything that's below bumper level within 15-25 feet of your car is already too close to avoid when you're at highway speeds.

When you apply power to the shield's (you can just use a 9V battery for testing), your beam pattern should go from cutoff low beam to high beams. The intensity/brightness of the light shouldn't change at all, but you'll get the full beam pattern instead of the bottom half only. Some weird stuff happens in the optics of the projector, everything more or less flips when it goes through the lens. As long as unpowered shied = lowbeam and powered = highbeam, you're good to go.

The picture on the right looks about normal. You actually don't want a ton of light in the immediate foreground: It makes it more difficult for your eyes to adjust to things that are farther out, and anything that's below bumper level within 15-25 feet of your car is already too close to avoid when you're at highway speeds.

When you apply power to the shield's (you can just use a 9V battery for testing), your beam pattern should go from cutoff low beam to high beams. The intensity/brightness of the light shouldn't change at all, but you'll get the full beam pattern instead of the bottom half only. Some weird stuff happens in the optics of the projector, everything more or less flips when it goes through the lens. As long as unpowered shied = lowbeam and powered = highbeam, you're good to go.

Maybe I'll try to run it and switch between high/lowbeams to make sure everything is correct before I install it. I find it strange that the beam pattern is so thin but if that's the way it's supposed to be then that's good to know. Thanks

Archived