LegacyGT.com

Lifting first gen legacy, what are my options?

I lifted with 02 forester struts coils springs and subframe spacers. You will need extended steering coupler and the rear bushings for front control arm to do it properly. I switched to 98 legacy gt sway bars as well.

I tried just spacers. I had to run weaker cam bolts to get my alignment into spec and i went through 3 or 4 cv axles from poor angles. And some scary bump steer. So i did it properly. Now it feels like stock. So yes you can half ass the job and it will sort of work. But you open a can of worms

-'96-'99 OB struts w/your rear top hats - should be the easiest. Note the rears are PITA to get in - tight, but will fit.

-You'll also want some taller tires. 205-75R/14 will get you the same height (almost) as the stock 205-70R/15 that the OB had.

- Look on other subie sites for sales, locals on CL parting out, or ebait. Lower mileage is better, no leaks, and no excessive rust (watch out for east coast cars).

- B4 you swap the front struts MARK the top strut bolt's location as it's the camber bolt. Still should have the alignment checked, but should be close if it's good b4 the swap.

- body spacers WILL require the steering linkage extension...just struts will not.

TD

Archived