LegacyGT.com

accessory wire in engine bay (for DRL)

Greetings!

I have an '05 OBXT (2.5T) and recently installed some aftermarket HID lights. While the lights are awesome in every way, I had to disable the DRL circuit to get the HID ballasts to work.

I'm not sure if there's any residual debate about the necessity of DRLs, but I do want to restore some aftermarket form of DRLs in the car. I'll of course fuse and relay them etc etc, but what can I use to trigger the relay? I need to tap into some on-when-the-car-is-on wire in the engine bay, or go back through the firewall and find something suitable there. I think I'd prefer the former.

Any suggestions?

[newbie, first post, please be gentle]

On this car the DRL's are simply a low voltage sent to main headlight to make them run at a lower output.

It would be fairly difficult to use the existing system to make new DRLs.

Want lights on during the day? Turn on your headlights.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Not promoting this particular brand or website, but some aftermarket DRL's come with a control box that senses battery voltage and turns on when the car is running. You just wire it to the battery. Also, I have seen the control boxes separately somewhere that you can wire to your choice of LED lights, maybe TheRetrofitSource has some controllers.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/High-Power-Luexon-LED-Daytime-Running-Lights-p/60-011.htm

I am running Sylvania (Osram) LEDriving PX-5 lights.

https://www.sylvania.com/en-us/products/automotive/ledriving-kit/Pages/ledriving-px.aspx

Greetings!

I have an '05 OBXT (2.5T) and recently installed some aftermarket HID lights. While the lights are awesome in every way, I had to disable the DRL circuit to get the HID ballasts to work.

I'm not sure if there's any residual debate about the necessity of DRLs, but I do want to restore some aftermarket form of DRLs in the car. I'll of course fuse and relay them etc etc, but what can I use to trigger the relay? I need to tap into some on-when-the-car-is-on wire in the engine bay, or go back through the firewall and find something suitable there. I think I'd prefer the former.

Any suggestions?

[newbie, first post, please be gentle]

I'd just go through the firewall grommet and use the "ACC" fuse in the driver side fuse panel.

I actually did exactly what you are trying to do, but on a 3rd Gen Legacy retrofit. My goal was to disable the DRLs when the HIDs turned on, but keep the DRLs on at any other point that the key was On/Run. This mimics the behavior of the stock DRLs.

More details about the relay setup in a wiring diagram here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bi-xenon-hid-retrofit-3rd-gen-00-04-legacy-walkthrough-249471.html

Archived