LegacyGT.com

Another Stinky Cat thread...

PiKap335

I know the cat stinking issue has been addressed in many threads, but has anyone found out how to resolve the problem, or if the cat is even the problem at all? Does this seem to go away as the car breaks in? I've read that some of you are still experiecing the smell at 15,000k.

The smell I'm getting is like burning plastic that comes in through the vents. It's really strong after you get out of the car- which has led me to believe it's the cat smell that so many of us are experiencing. The car began developing this smell about 1,000K ago- it's at 4500 miles now.

Actually it's the gf's car (I was very lucky- she thought the LGT was "cute"). Her first Subaru and she loves it- but is dissapointed with the smell, the goofy A/C (also getting the ILL.6 glitch).

Do all Suby's have these sorts of prob's? I'm really considering selling my TL-Type S and getting a Legacy, but I'm getting a little nervous about all the problems I'm seeing with the car. I just want the damn smell to be gone!

I know the cat stinking issue has been addressed in many threads, but has anyone found out how to resolve the problem, or if the cat is even the problem at all? Does this seem to go away as the car breaks in? I've read that some of you are still experiecing the smell at 15,000k.

The smell I'm getting is like burning plastic that comes in through the vents. It's really strong after you get out of the car- which has led me to believe it's the cat smell that so many of us are experiencing. The car began developing this smell about 1,000K ago- it's at 4500 miles now.

Actually it's the gf's car (I was very lucky- she thought the LGT was "cute"). Her first Subaru and she loves it- but is dissapointed with the smell, the goofy A/C (also getting the ILL.6 glitch).

Do all Suby's have these sorts of prob's? I'm really considering selling my TL-Type S and getting a Legacy, but I'm getting a little nervous about all the problems I'm seeing with the car. I just want the damn smell to be gone!

I dunno if Ive smelt a burning plastic smell, unless you are refering to the clutch stink that happens with clutch slip (which eventually disappeared on my car). When I first start the car I will get an occaisional whiff of the cats but thats it.

Regarding the ILL.6, it is not a glitch, you or your gf must be flicking the dash ILLumination button that is to the left of the steering wheel, this is a common confusion. ILL.1-ILL.6 is the dash illumination range.

In general any probs I or the majority of other owners have experience have been very minor, overall the car has bulletproof reliability and is a blast to drive. If you are concerned with little niggling issues, rattles, etc. the 06 may have ironed some of those out. Buy it-Love it!

Must be just me......but I don't think that the cat smells like plastic at all....

After 10K miles, I still have cat-stink, from the tailpipes, after occasional and very infrequent early morning, colder-weather starts. None of this ever makes it in-cabin.

And definitely, this does not smell like the "no cat stink" :lol: from my TBE setups on previous rides. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Interesting. The car is a 5EAT so the clutch is ruled out. I've read the cat odor is like a sulpher/egg smell, which we is not the case. Other drivers have said it smelled a bit like burning rubber. Ah, damn scooby. It's a plastic smell for sure...another appt. with the dealer I suppose!

The ILL.6 thing I'm not worried about- no thanks to the dealer who had no idea what the problem could be. I figured it out after stumbling on this awesome forum. Anyone suggest a good dealer in So California??

I love the LGT- it's seriously an awesome car. Every chance I get I drive my Gf's, shit, I'm the one that convinced her to buy it (couldn't convince her to get the MT though, damn). Different beast than the TL-S though (which I love driving). The suby community is awesome too- much different than the TL forums (jackasses in my opinion). It will happen one day, in the meantime I'll just enjoy my girlfriend's!

Interesting. I've read the cat odor is like a sulpher/egg smell, which we is not the case. Other drivers have said it smelled a bit like burning rubber.

Sulphur/egg-smell is how I would characterize it, too.......

Rubber...

Any chance you're leaking some coolant or have recently added coolant or "burped" your coolant, and had some minor spillage?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Well, in my particular case it's a burning plastic smell. Everything looks very clean under the hood (only 4500 miles on her), but I'll give it another good look. The other day I tried to pin point the smell and it seemed to be coming from near the intercooler area.

Other threads have shed light on possible causes of these smells (loose hoses blowing fumes back into the engine bay, fuel so rich under WOT that the cat can't burn it...etc.), but there have been little solutions.

SOA really should address the problem and issue a tech bulletin...

Archived