LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT leaking oil!!!

Just bought my Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT few months ago and noticed that my oil was low. I replaced the oil myself back a few months ago, full synthetic. Since then I've noticed that my oil has been super low. Within the past 3 weeks, ive had to add over 4 quarts of oil. 2 quarts 2 weeks ago, 1 quart last week, and another quart today. There are NO puddles in my driveway. I took it to the mechanic and was told that there is a leak from the turbo, oil filter adapter, and a small leak on the right side/head gasket. He agrees with me that there is no way that I can be losing so much oil and not see any puddles. He said that the engine must be burning the oil and to look into getting a new car. Suggestions?????

Car has 62,000 miles.

So you drove the car with only 2 quarts of oils once, and another time with 3 quarts oil? The low 'tick' of the dip stick indicates you are missing a quart of oil btw. These turbo cars (at least most of them) do burn oil, and you should avoid driving the car with low oil level.

In any case, did he check your pcv valve? Maybe it is stuck?

Your turbo is probably on its way out too if he saw a leak around your turbo. Did he check for shaft play on the turbo?

I drove the car when it was full, and noticed every other week when I checked it that it was going down fast. At its lowest, it was probably at 3 quarts (before I knew there was a problem). Its full right now , haven't checked the PC valve yet and when I bought the car, I was told that they just put a new turbo in about 700 miles ago. I had a buddy follow me today to watch my exhaust and noticed alot more coming out than normal. Said he could smell oil burning from his car. He also advised me that its probably a good time to sell it :(.

I'm taking it into a Subaru shop soon, gonna try the PC valve first and the mechanic I just called said it could be the turbo. Just baffled with the amount of oil being used. Haven't checked the banjo bolt filters yet.

Archived