LegacyGT.com

Detailing Help Needed!

So they decided to resurface the road I take to work every day. It's blacktop, which they ground off and then placed new blacktop over. While it was ground down, a lot of dust was kicked up and became deposited on my rear hatch (window and paint).

I noticed when I went to wash it this weekend, that the window and body have a rough feeling (like it has become adhered to it) and won't wash off. I'm guessing that a clay bar MIGHT take off the adhered road material, but I'm not sure. I was really surprised that it stuck to the glass, in addition to the paint. Do I need something more than just a clay bar to remove the contaminants? It feels horrible to the touch, like fine sand paper.

My car felt pretty rough in some areas before I clayed it; it also had some contaminants in the paint. Now that I have clayed it and put on a good coat of wax, the paint feels superb. This should solve your problem. if the hand applications dont work, you'll probably have to bust out a buffer or something though...

Guest *Jedimaster*
I think the claybar will do the trick, but you might want to toss it after getting all that grit off and get a new one. Sucks you'll have to rewax too :(

Yeah, the clay bar would be my first option too. Not knowing specifically what it is doesn't really help though. Clay shoudl pull it off whether it is tar or whatever, but some things work better than others on certian contamination. For example, if this is road tar we are talking about then I would put some mineral spirits in a spray bottle and give the car a spritz. Then you can just watch the tar drip off. Mineral spirits work like magic on tar.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

It's ground up road (old blacktop) that is stuck to it. There was a large amount of dust that was produced from the grind down. It's a lot of whatever they make blacktop out of (tar, concrete like material, etc.), specifically I don't know.

Start with mineral spirits then. That is a lot of grit for clay to handle. The mineral spirits should help most of it slide off. Be very careful not to grind this stuff into the paint.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived