LegacyGT.com

Just bought a car with a cold air intake

Jimmye212

I've been reading these forums for a while, but just joined and this is my first post. I just bought a 2009 Legacy GT. It has a K&N CAI put on by the previous owner. At the time of purchase, I did not know that a cai requires a tune and as far as I know, the car does not have a tune. The guy who I bought the car from was the first owner and took very good care of it, but I do not know how long this intake has been on there. I have the stock intake and will be replacing it immediately, but am worried that there has already been damage done to the engine. The car also just passed inspection. Thanks for any help.

Hi Jimmy,

Anything is possible, but if your engine feels strong and isn't popping off CELs, or misfiring then you're probably fine. I have reason to believe that A LOT of people do a CAI install and then drive the piss out of their cars for years without tuning (not advisable for long term use).

Personally, I would put back the stock intake as soon as possible. Until then it's probably advisable to go light on the throttle or just don't drive it until you get the stock airbox and ducts back on.

After that you might want to reset the ecu if it runs weird, but this might not be necessary. If after that your motor is still acting strange then give us more info, if not, then enjoy the drive!

Good luck and welcome!

Hi Jimmy,

Anything is possible, but if your engine feels strong and isn't popping off CELs, or misfiring then you're probably fine. I have reason to believe that A LOT of people do a CAI install and then drive the piss out of their cars for years without tuning (not advisable for long term use).

Personally, I would put back the stock intake as soon as possible. Until then it's probably advisable to go light on the throttle or just don't drive it until you get the stock airbox and ducts back on.

After that you might want to reset the ecu if it runs weird, but this might not be necessary. If after that your motor is still acting strange then give us more info, if not, then enjoy the drive!

Good luck and welcome!

Thanks for the response!

I won't be driving it for a while since I am at college and don't have the car with me, but I will put the stock intake on when I get home. Everything in the car feels fine and it drives very nice so I'm hoping nothing was damaged. I will also be getting a cobb accessport and doing a stage 1 tune anyway so hopefully that will clear up any other problems.

Archived