LegacyGT.com

Exedy Stage 2 Clutch worth it??

Hey guys, from what I could find the only person who's installed an exedy stage 2 clutch was SomeZero but he was pretty well built.

The exedy stage 1 organic clutch doesnt seem to be much of an upgrade from stock so I thought I would go stage 2 with a resurf flywheel.

other than that, I'm considering Southbend stage2 or ACT...maybe.

Is anyone running the exedy stage 2 three puck clutch? I drive my GT daily but will be moving to stage 2 in the next few months and want something that is going to last and not be annoying, oh and I may be able to get a really good deal from exedy so thats why its my first choice.

I've been in a few cars with puck clutches and as Rutchard said, if they are sprung that helps, but it is still a touchy system. For a DD, I don't think it would be your best choice. There are a few full face options out there that are more than capable of holding stage 2+ power. I've got the ACT HDSS and have no complaints about it for my DD. Southbend is also quite popular.

I was gunna lean towards getting a 6 puck seeing as I'm probably going to be around 400wtrq, 320ish whp plus if I end up going e85 I would probably need something like a 6puck to hold and actually get the power down right? Was planning on a Southbend S2...but rather not have to change clutches again in the near future haha

I saw your posts on the HDg6 and if it wasnt for the price I would do that. Im just concerned with running anything that is rated under a 350tq rating because stage 2 will basically give your clutch no more room to move.

Maybe southbend stage2 is the most reliable intermediate stage 2 clutch.

I was gunna lean towards getting a 6 puck seeing as I'm probably going to be around 400wtrq, 320ish whp plus if I end up going e85 I would probably need something like a 6puck to hold and actually get the power down right? Was planning on a Southbend S2...but rather not have to change clutches again in the near future haha

I put down 331/383 on my 20G tune awhile back and my HDSS never slipped on me. I don't drive the car hard very often and I never launch it but I have no reason to doubt that it would hold up.

Rutchard, weren't you also running the HDSS when you were on e85? I know you had the stock turbo but you put down some solid torque IIRC and obviously your quarter times speak for themselves.

I saw a lot of comments of people slipping on HDSS. IIRC some may have been attributed to a defect or a bad batch, otherwise, think it was mostly driver error?

I can't say on that. I guess I can only speak to my experience, which has been positive. There is probably a greater percentage of people with Southbend so their input may be more statistically significant than mine.

Rutchard, weren't you also running the HDSS when you were on e85? I know you had the stock turbo but you put down some solid torque IIRC and obviously your quarter times speak for themselves.

293whp/360wtq uncorrected on a Mustang. HDSS held up fine. My only complaint was that the TOB made some funny noises, which I was told is normal. Only really heard it when I was idling in neutral.

I think the HDSS people that had slipping problems also had the clutch delay valve crap out on them.

I can't say on that. I guess I can only speak to my experience, which has been positive. There is probably a greater percentage of people with Southbend so their input may be more statistically significant than mine.

I've been through 4 clutches on my wrx and one on the LGT. I've tried act, exedy, spec etc... Of course the LGT is a different animal but as of right now, I am sold on Southbend. Has held up great after 20k miles with no noises or any difference in pedal feel over the past few years. The biggest thing with Subarus and aftermarket clutches is chatter so there has to be a happy medium with clamping force and driveability. Southbend has exactly met my expectations and hopefully it will last at least another 20k...

Depends I guess. Mine only lasted 20k. Just did not like Bren's stage 2 etune. With 3k miles was slipping horribly. Now, of course it had plenty of material left but couldn't handle the torque. In general a stock clutch should last longer than a performance clutch as it has less clamping power and creates less stress than a performance clutch. But of course, there are many variables as Chris stated such as power mods and how you drive it.

If you are doing all these things in the near future then you're right. I upgraded from stock to the ACT HDSS with their streetlite flywheel when i added exhaust/tune. When I did the turbo swap and went to e85 i munched that clutch in under 20k and had to swap. Currently running this with the ACT flywheel (resurfaced) http://www.advancedclutch.com/sb5-hdg6.

Archived