LegacyGT.com

My #ynansb thread

So after having a few issues that seem to never want to die, i'm starting to think i'm going to be an unwilling new member of the ynansb club. since I'm not to the point of having to do a rebuild quite yet, I'd figure I'd start here for now.

2005 LGT Limited Wagon 5MT

123K on ODO

VF46 Turbo

Motor rebuilt at approx 90K by previous owner after the VF40 blew up and took the motor with it.

Bought the vehicle, initially had no issues other than shortly after buying the car seemed to be a little nosier at idle. Changed the oil. Car then sat for 4 months or so during the summer but I would start and run it to keep fluids moving around, etc.

Shortly after starting to drive the car on a more full time basis, started getting a P0302 CEL and rough idle, somewhat lack of power, etc. fought around with that for a few months and finally replaced the injector. Haven't seen that code since. Did notice a hesitation especially from 2.5k RPM up to 4K RPM especially when engine had not warmed up, assumed it was the injector as it seemingly went away with the injector swap.

Parts replaced:

#2 injector

all 4 spark plugs with OE plugs

New battery terminal connections

Winter hit, car was fine for the most part, but was still noisy especially on startup. Always let the car warm up before driving. hesitation issue was more prevelant, starting seeing a P0011 once in a great while, would check oil levels, cleaned cam sensor, replaced both OCV valves, the passenger side OCV fell apart upon removal. Also changed to Amsoil 5w-30. Still seeing P0011 issue. Discover both of the lower chasis to block ground connections are gone, replace both. Also check for AVCS/Turbo oil filters, none present so I replace the copper washers and reset the ECU. Put almost 800 miles on the car and then P0011 AGAIN. Car as a mild rough idle and you can hear a very mild/intermittent sputter from the exhaust. Poor delivery seems poor. No signs of oil consumption YET. Could night find any vac leaks using the carb cleaner method, or at least no changes in idle when spraying different areas/vac lines.

Parts:

Driver and passenger side OCV

2 new grounding straps from dealer

Amsoil 5w-30 with Wix Filter

Plans:

Swapping OCVs from one side to the other and inspecting operation.

Purchasing BTMSS for monitoring/logging purposes

Considering passenger side AVCS Cam gear replacement

Considering Killer B Oil Pickup tube

If the above doesn't resolve the issue I think I may just resort to replacing the SB and having the heads done. A gentleman in the local community is selling a 2011 STI Longblock for around $1200 in the coming weeks and might jump on that.

Another possibility is saying 'Eff it' and selling the car. As a side note I'm finding it harder to shift into 1st gear. No grinding or anything like that, just seems to not want to go into gear. Was worse during the cold winter months. Checked fluid level, was within spec.

If you have any ideas, suggestions, etc. Please feel free the chime in. Chances are I've missed something or I didn't and just forgot to add it to this wall of text. Been reading quite a few different threads about this issue on here and Nasioc but can never have too much info.

Archived