LegacyGT.com

Buying a 2000 Legacy B4! NEED HELP

Look, I'm new to the Subie scene. I've freshly imported a 2000 legacy B4.

The car has 102,000 km's, it's in fairly good condition. Don't have a whole lot more details.

I need to know if I should be worried about the head gaskets and timing belt? I've gotten a lot of different kinds of advice but i'm not sure what to do before i go spending money on parts and sheeit.

If you know anything else I should watch out for at this mileage, feel free to let me know. The more information the better, and if you want to just make fun of me that's cool too!

396465021_MybeautifulLegacy.JPG.d1532cfb822cbccba1f641fdbbcab58c.JPG

1900115400_Myveautifullegacy.JPG.0a1be3a2746d69593e7f381023b8e1a8.JPG

If the timing belt was never changed to your knowledge than you need to change it. Even with low miles like that the belt is still 15 years old.

Turbo engines used different head-gaskets and are not prone to leaking as much as the N/A 2.5

I heard of them going at 60,000miles and even at 130,xxx, some people never have a problem. With the turbo ej20s it is not very common. I wouldn't worry about it until it starts seeping or giving you a issue. If you want to pull the motor then get a engine gasket kit and do everything.

I've got the same engine in my GTB. Change the timing belt and tensioners even if they look good.

Mine were checked at about 100,000km and the shop was convinced they had been done before car made it to Canada.

Now at 130,000km and I have tensioner issues that have caused the timing to go half tooth off. Nothing major as the shop took the time to diagnose a CEL and found out about it.

Otherwise, the engine has been rock solid over the past 35,000km. I've got a few friends that have GTBs too from the same gen as a B4 and none have had head gasket problems, or failed cylinders. Apparently, one of the reasons is that the twin turbo's dont cause the heat fatigue issues on cylinder 3 that the single turbo ej20s have.

I've got the same engine in my GTB. Change the timing belt and tensioners even if they look good.

Mine were checked at about 100,000km and the shop was convinced they had been done before car made it to Canada.

Now at 130,000km and I have tensioner issues that have caused the timing to go half tooth off. Nothing major as the shop took the time to diagnose a CEL and found out about it.

Otherwise, the engine has been rock solid over the past 35,000km. I've got a few friends that have GTBs too from the same gen as a B4 and none have had head gasket problems, or failed cylinders. Apparently, one of the reasons is that the twin turbo's dont cause the heat fatigue issues on cylinder 3 that the single turbo ej20s have.

Thanks Ladwagn! That's perfect man. I'll be sure to get that looked at. How is the timing belt to do on your own? I was thinking about tackling it with a friend to save some money. While I am very mechanically inclined, I have not yet changed out a timing belt myself. I've heard some horror stories! I'm excited to recieve my car though, only 10-14 days! Just left the japan port today.

Archived