LegacyGT.com

Axle pulled apart.

So I was changing my front lower control arm and in my infinite wisdom I somehow managed to screw with my axle. The inner part of it appears to have pulled apart.

It looks like everything is still contained within the boot, but the trunnion pulled out of it's housing. I was wondering if it's safe to just push the trunnion back into place (or even possible)?

Also, why was it so easy for it to pull out? Shouldn't there be something more than the boot to keep things together?

Thanks!

2011 3.6R Legacy

I don't know enough about axles to answer your question. If you reinstall that axle, or install a new axle, make sure to check for leaks after where the axles enters the transmission. Not sure about 5th gens, but on the 4th gens the axle seal sometimes leaks a little after the axle has been removed. Picture in thread below as an example.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/front-half-shaft-leak-axle-seali-92936.html

There should be no need to hammer it, the design and location of the axle shaft allows for no side loading on the axle so it doesn't need to be held in. It really just floats there with just forward or backward pressure on it. Also the cup, which houses the cv joint has a retaining ring along the inside so the joint wont just slip out, its hard to see with all the grease in the way but it is a thin wire ring.

I did this last year scared the shit out of me. Just pushed everything back in by hand, then support the strut while you finish the work that you were doing. Then when car is back on all fours... Drain the rest of the gear oil and refill. I have had no issues since; 30lk miles ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^I was thinking the cv joint actually came apart. Hence needing to pound it back together. Like when you replace a boot and have to take apart the joint.

The cv joint has a retaining ring so it shouldn't just come apart. It is actually a bit of a pain to get it out.

Archived