LegacyGT.com

00' Legacy GT-L , Tranny Issue? Shift Lock?

I encountered a weird problem the other night. I was driving the car fine, I stopped outside a friends house, car never got turned off just put it in park (Yes auto), Friend got in my car and I shifted to drive but I had no movement. The car would just rev, nothing worked besides Park and Reverse.. Eventually I put a little tranny fluid in to see if that was the issue and it didn't help. Eventually my friend took over, put it in drive, rev'd it to 5k and it launched ..

The car does have a once-a-week issue of the shift lock acting up and I can't get it out of park without using the over-ride on the rightside of the shifter.

I did visit a mechanic and he said I have a leak in one of my tranny lines, and that could cause the issue due to a lack of fluid.. but the vehicle was shifting fine before I parked therefore not showing signs of low fluid level.

Someone told me it could just all be because of the shift-lock and a sensor in there.. I'm not sure.

Any help is appreciated before I drop 200$ CAN getting a line fixed.

TLDR : Car wouldn't move in Drive, Reverse still worked, Maybe linked to shift-lock, Car has a leaky line, any help appreciated before I go broke.

it could be a shifter issue.

but it could be the known problem the 99 auto had.

slow to engage.

usually corrected by replacing your fluid and adding a quart of TRANS-X slip stop.

also the correct amount of fluid will help.

Well...Ive had the shift-override pushed down for the past 3 days or so and the issue has gone away... So .. What could the issue be? I don't want to have a screw sticking out forever.

Archived