LegacyGT.com

Strut replacements

Just saw this post. I have not had the struts replaced yet. I'm thinking to bring the car to another Subaru dealert or wheel expert without mentioning the Mavis inspection. I have owned many cars for my 65 years in NY. I also realize the Mavis trick of finding something "wrong" with the car. That's how they make money. The state inspection doesn't do it.

I remember bringing get my father's car to Chevy dealers for service way back when, they ALWAYS found something wrong. They would giggle the wheels and say Oh Boy You need new shocks and ball joints and a new Wheel Alignment. Usually they would screw up the alignment.

Just saw this post. I have not had the struts replaced yet. I'm thinking to bring the car to another Subaru dealert or wheel expert without mentioning the Mavis inspection. I have owned many cars for my 65 years in NY. I also realize the Mavis trick of finding something "wrong" with the car. That's how they make money. The state inspection doesn't do it.

I remember bringing get my father's car to Chevy dealers for service way back when, they ALWAYS found something wrong. They would giggle the wheels and say Oh Boy You need new shocks and ball joints and a new Wheel Alignment. Usually they would screw up the alignment.

These guys will take good care of you & your Subaru. http://azpinstalls.com/web/index.php/services/upgrades/suspension :)

• 2 weeks later...

Goodyear installed two new KYB struts in the front. They found two tires (coopers CS4s) cupping with uneven wear. According to them, the front struts were causing the problem. Interesting that they inspected all the struts, and didn't see any of them leaking. Mavis Tire found two leaking only 6 weeks ago. What Non-Sense. But our Subaru dealer and the Goodyear Tire shop did Find that two wheels were bent. Still holding air, but were out of round to create shimmys.

Now, I'm on the hunt for 2 - 17 inch 2010 Legacy Limited good condition rims. To repair them is not worth the expense.

Thank you NY metro area potholes.

The thing about shops finding problems is two sided, the shop has the obligation to point out problems or potential problems as a CYA. The wild card in this is how well the driver of the vehicle keeps up on visual inspections to see potential issues for themselves vs having a shop tech tell them.

KYB Excel-G's are a great stock replacement. Very affordable and drop right in. The next step up are the Koni's, but they require cutting the strut assembly. The benefits of Konis is they are the least expensive adjustable shock/struts for our cars. Dial in the performance.

There is no benefit buying OE and paying an arm and a leg.

Stock replacement with OE performance

http://showmetheparts.com/kyb/

339222 FR

339223 FL

340026 Rear

Archived