LegacyGT.com

suspension failure question - noob

Hi, I has a pretty severe suspension failure 2.5 months after having the bushings repaired by my mechanic. Basically one of the bolts "fell" out which appeared to be holding the FL wheel on - see bolt missing on second image.

https://gyazo.com/cad3124e021e32cc06d93157b2568032

https://gyazo.com/622c6f9d82f4b45de720ae5c2d8a0cd7

Fortunately no one was hurt as I noticed the car driving weird before we hit a 100km/h zone, the wheel came completely off when we tried to get it onto the tow-truck...

Now, my mechanic is suggesting that this particular bolt would not be touched during suspension maintenance, or replacement of bushings - but I have no idea. It just sounds suspicious that a bolt falls out so quickly after getting suspension maintenance - about long enough for it to work itself loose?

But I also do not want to go to war with them as they have been pretty good otherwise and it was just the advice of the tow-truck driver who said that he definitely thought that was the case...

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

If they replaced the lower control arm bushings then I would think he would of had to pull the balljoint out(what disconnected on your car.) When I did my lower control arm bushings I pulled the ball joint out of the knuckle, and then the two mounting point bolts for the LCA and pressed new ones in. Do you know what bushings were replaced?

If new bushings were installed in the lower control arm, that bolt would most certainly be removed to remove the ball joint to remove the control arm from the car. Time to get in touch with your mechanics insurance company.

Is that the Ball Joint pinch bolt? If so it is surprising that it could fall out as it has a reputation for seizing. Mine snapped off when we tried to replace the ball joint and I've read many others experiencing the same.

Where are you located Heinlager? Like ashwinearl said, that looks like the ball joint pinch bolt. That bolt usually breaks when people try to remove it, unless you live somewhere warm where they don't treat the roads with salt/magnesium chloride in the winter time.

*I should also mention I broke both bolts on my car. :spin:

Is that the Ball Joint pinch bolt? If so it is surprising that it could fall out as it has a reputation for seizing. Mine snapped off when we tried to replace the ball joint and I've read many others experiencing the same.

Yeah.....mine broke when I tried to get it out too. I can't under any circumstances see it falling out on it's own if it hadn't been recently removed.

Where are you located Heinlager? Like ashwinearl said, that looks like the ball joint pinch bolt. That bolt usually breaks when people try to remove it, unless you live somewhere warm where they don't treat the roads with salt/magnesium chloride in the winter time.

*I should also mention I broke both bolts on my car. :spin:

I live in New Zealand - we never have to salt/grit our roads here...I will check the last mechanic report detail and see if they specify which bushing it was and revert...

It sounds like they replaced the front lower control arm bushings. That's the rubber bushing you see in the lower right hand side of the first picture. The ball joint is on the left side of the first image below, and the bolt that came out holds that ball joint in what's called the knuckle. I attached a picture of my old knuckle in the second image, with the ball joint still attached due to the broken pinch bolt.

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=216704&d=1442712779

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=197312&d=1416537277

Not sure what BTM arm securing bolts - front and rear base of hub are. link rod = tie rod ends? :confused:

btm probably means bottom

bottom arm securing bolts

if you look at the picture it looks like there is clean threads which means the bolt was removed.... that bolt should not have worked its way out because of the lock washer under the head of the bolt. Maybe the bolt was never put back in? Does the other side have a new bolt or a bolt that looks like its been removed and replaced?

Archived