LegacyGT.com

Swap to LED Lights

pzzamakr1980

Hey guys, just purchased my 2005 Subaru GT 5MT Wagon about a month ago. Currently has about 150,000 miles on the original engine, and still runs pretty strong. Definitely burns oil, and could use a nice engine rebuild at some point, which will probably happen in May. In the mean time I am doing a few other things to the car. The first really noticeable one being replacing the horrible halogens with LEDs. I know there is a great deal of discussion as to whether HID's are best, or LEDs, or just plain ole halogens. Having been a cyclist for a long time, I've tried all three in the cycling world, and LED has become the de facto standard, for good reason. They are bulletproof, efficient, and stupid bright. They also don't flicker, are instant on, and are immune to shock, unlike HID's.

While I was fairly certain LEDs would be a good choice, I wasn't willing to drop 200 bucks or more on the OPT7s. Instead, I ordered some v16 60W Turbo low beams from another forum member, and some Stark 80W high beams from Amazon. Total price was 84 dollars.

Pictures below illustrate the difference. Halogen is on the left, LED on the right in first two photos, then just the LEDs. Exposure was manually set for each picture using Manual Camera on my Nexus 6.

Driving impressions were very positive. The 60W lows are nice and white, and are very similar brightness wise to the halogens. On the other hand the 80W highs are just as white and much brighter. There is no comparison between the halogens and the LEDs in terms of brightness in regards to the high beams. For both the highs and lows, spread is much improved, and the LEDs whiteness just seem to make everything more visible. As they are closer to the color of natural sunlight, that may account for that perceived improvement in visibility, even if the actual brightness isn't much greater.

Now, while these companies state 7000 lumens and 8000 lumens, thats garbage, as none of them are that bright. I own bike lights that are rated at 4000 lumens, and those are tested for that brightness by independent labs and numerous magazines (Lupine Betty). However, the lights are still plenty bright, and much brighter than the stock halogens. Overall, I'm very happy with the purchase, and may purchase from a more reviewed and expensive brand if or when these fail.

1848923813_CopyofIMG_20160307_200940_531.1.thumb.jpg.9af18461eda6879b09e4b3249f933e48.jpg

The forum member doesn't make them, he just had a set for sale he didnt want anymore.

The low beam model is the v16 Turbo 60W.

Link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/All-Seasons-LED-7200LM-Headlight/dp/B017MTO91M/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1457490385&sr=1-1&keywords=v16+turbo+led]Amazon.com: All Seasons LED 60W 7200LM/Set US CREE LED Auto Headlight Kit, Color White 6000K (9005/HB3): Automotive[/ame]

The high beam model is the Stark All-In-One 80W

Link: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QZS7RM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00]Amazon.com: Stark All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 80 Watt - 8,000 Lm - Cool White 6000K 6K - Fog Light Bulbs - H1: Automotive[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
The forum member doesn't make them, he just had a set for sale he didnt want anymore.

The low beam model is the v16 Turbo 60W.

Link: Amazon.com: All Seasons LED 60W 7200LM/Set US CREE LED Auto Headlight Kit, Color White 6000K (9005/HB3): Automotive

The high beam model is the Stark All-In-One 80W

Link: Amazon.com: Stark All-in-One LED Headlight Conversion Kit - 80 Watt - 8,000 Lm - Cool White 6000K 6K - Fog Light Bulbs - H1: Automotive

I think you have your links wrong pzzamakr1980.

They're backwards (the high beam you linked to is the low beam and vise vera) and the low beam you linked to is the H1 not the H7. Our cars take an H7.

Archived