LegacyGT.com

Quick 4EAT question

I've tried searching for this but not having much luck figuring out what I need to verify.

My car is a 2002 Legacy GT 3.0 with the H6. The transmission that's in it is a TV1B4YVEAA and is completely stuffed. I'm having no luck finding anything else around that matches that number and being the H6 I'm not sure if there is anything special about it. I'm based in New Zealand so our selection is a bit limited.

Does anyone know if a TV1A4YBAAA will fit and work? I believe that's from the 2.5TT.

Really struggling to find any decent advice down this way and need to get the car back on the road.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks guys. Johnegg I'm in New Zealand so not going to do me much good to do a zip search for parts.

Does anyone know what the final drive ratio is in the H6 versus the 2.5? I can't seem to find the difference between the two transmissions. Plugs all look the same, mounting looks the same, bellhousing looks the same, both external remote filter. If someone could verify the final drive that would be most helpful.

in the US all the H6 trans are 4.11 ratio.

this is different from the H4 outbacks and GT auto trans which are 4.44.

the h4 auto trans may plug in,

and the ratio is different for sure,

but the gearing of the 4 gears is also different.

with a bit of research you can find part numbers and ''matching cars'' at

http://opposedforces.com/parts

i would look in the europe section.

Just to carry on this thread a bit longer, is there anything else that you chaps know of that would get a transmission to lose all fluid pressure and push absolutely zero fluid out to the filter/cooler? My assumption is the pump has gone but is there any relief valve or electrical failure that could cause this? Once again an assumption but fluid should always flow out to the filter/cooler, there should be nothing electrical to inhibit this. I've read about a circlip that holds the pump shaft to the pump, if that clip broke would this happen?

you didn't install an engine recently did you?

if the torque converter is not fully seated during an install,

it will destroy the n oil pump in the trans.

this was fairly common in the 90s cars for newbies.

i don't herar as much about it with the 00s and newer.

other than that i do not know.

what does the fluid look like?

what is the fluid level?

any leaks?

did it happen suddenly, or slowly over time?

the 4eat in these cars is pretty much the same one they have been using since 1990.

not exactly the same, but pretty much.

and imho, the H6 is too much engine for it, causing a higher failure rate than the H4.

but that's just my guess.

Hi Johnegg. It happened fairly suddenly, a few slips then done. Pan is full of metal and there is zero flow to the cooler. I had flushed the trans about 10,000kms prior to this so the fluid is still decent. The car has 230,000 kms on it and we had just finished up a road trip all over the show so I'm not really surprised we had an issue.

You seem quite knowledgeable on the Subaru transmissions, can you decipher the codes on them at all? I've just found a TV1B4YBCBA available. The last 4 digits are different and I don't really know which digits matter.

i had the 90s codes down pat.

and there are a few things that transfer.

1/ the last 2 characters designate the car/model,

example: 96 - 98 outback autos ALL end in BA, legacy = AA and GT = CA

i don't think those codes transfer to the 00 - 03 years,

but in the 90s the ONLY difference between the outback and the GT trans were the speedo drive gears.

and the only reason they were different was because the cars had different size tires.

the rest of the trans were EXACTLY the same.

(the legacy had different speedo drive gears, tire sizes, as well, PLUS a different ratio.)

2/the first 5 (6?)characters are the trans model number

all TV1B4..... (maybe the first 6, TV1B4Y....)trans are the same basic trans and they will bolt in , and plug in.

in the 90s all ej25 auto trans had a 2 in the 7th position and this designated a 4.44 final drive ratio.

example: 97 outback auto trans TZ102Z2CBA

(all legacy auto trans had a letter in this position and a 4.11 ratio.)

i do not think the same is true of the 00s.

but i would bet any trans that starts with TV1B4YVE.....will bolt in, plug in and run just fine,

worst case your speedo is off a little.

(i THINK, not sure, but the V may be unique to the H6, but maybe not.)

but that is just my opinion based on what little experience i have with subaru trans ID codes.

if you go to the opposed forces website i linked,

and look up your car, year, model, engine, etc.

and then click on the ''transmission'' section, and the ''whole trans as a unit'',

it will list the part number AND the ID number.

sometimes several ID numbers. which means they will interchange / swap.

then click on the part number ,

and then ''usage info''.

it will give you a list of all cars that used that trans.

so then you have a list of ID# that will interchange and years they were used on.

you may have to try several times to find your trans ID#

but keep looking it is in there.

to confirm my statement that all H6s have a 4.44 ratio.

once you find your ID#, look in the ''train'' section (drive train) for the rear diff.

when you find the ''ring and pinion'' part number,

it will list the ratio for that part.

spend some time poking around that site.

http://opposedforces.com/parts

i hope this helps.

more info you probably do not need about the codes from the 90s.

TZ102Z2CBA = 97 outback auto trans (the 97 GT was a TZ102Z2CCA i think)

T = trans

Z = all wheel drive (front wheel drive had an A)

102 = trans model number (in 99 they went to 1A2, then 1A4, then 1B4, then ......)

Z = ??? all wheel drive??? (the FWD cars had another A)

2 = 4.44 ratio (or mabe the ej25 engine?) (4.11 ratio legacys had a letter here)

C = it came after A but before D (the 96 outback ended in ....ABA, 97 = CBA, 98 = DBA)

BA = outback (legacy = AA, GT = CA)

sadly not all of these patterns continued in the 00s.

Archived