LegacyGT.com

Oil usage

Hi everyone!

Let me start out first by asking for remorse and understanding, if indeed I did not search well enough all I ask is to paste a link to another thread for info! Thanks!

I have a 2013 Legacy Premium 2.5i, it has 23k miles on it. I purchased it back in December, so far has been a great vehicle. I did notice aproximately three weeks to a month ago that the "check engine oil" light came on. I immediatey checked the oil, and found that it was within the normal ranges.

At times, I have though I smelled what was burning oil or maybe brakes briefly while in the car, It was a quick issue and no other problems.

I continued to check the oil level, due to the light coming off and on. The oil level seemed to stay moderate.

This past saturday, I drove to a friends house and had the car parked on a slope (engine lower than trunk). And my girlfriend said it smelled like the car was on fire. I had left the engine running, and the smell of burning oil was immense. After I left, I parked on a flat surface and re-checked the oil. This time the indications were the car was low on oil.

At this point I added about 3/4 quart of oil, to have normal measurements on the stick.

So in a nutshell... wtf 23k miles and its burning/using oil?

Any info on where to start, I got under the car and could not see any signs of oil, there was some greasy residue near the passenger side frame rail aprox where the axle passes, other than that its squeaky clean.

Check that cv boot, that is more likely your smell issue. They usually fail close to the exhaust pipes at the inner cv joint.

As for oil consumption...you indeed did not search well at all. I will bump that thread for you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Archived