LegacyGT.com

OCDetails, please help!

I have just about had enough with my exterior (never buying black again).i am sick of the swirls and fine scratches everywher eit pisses me off. i work so hard for the car and thats what i get. OC, is there anything i can do about those swirls and fine scratches that really works? i've tried two detailers who said they could get them out, they did nothing. i wish i lived near you or something, i've seen your swirl removal and it sgreat. please help :(

edit- i am actually thinking of buying a porter cable now, i was a n00b when i bought most of car caring sutff a while back, i think i want a fresh start. if i buy a porter acable and all the proper car cleaning products, do you think i have a shot at removing some of those swirls? or is it strictly a proffesional's job?

You can definitely remove them with a Porter Cable. The great thing about the PC is that it is fool proof. You can't hurt your paint with it unless you decide to drop the machine on the hood or something. The dangers of burning your paint or causing paint holograms isn't something you have to worry about with a PC. Those are dangers of rotary machines and low speed buffers.

Getting a PC and the right pads and polishes will take care of the swirls on your paint very easisly. Not only that, once you get swirl removal down then you now have a tool that will maintain your paint's swirl free look as well as making applying waxes and sealants way faster. And if you want to make a few extra bucks then you have the tools to do that too. Depending on how much you want to invest in you car's paint you could really have some great tools. For less than $300 you could have what you need to clear up your swirls and maintain you paint for years. You could make that $300 back pretty fast too. My average detail job costs about $120 lately. $90 for just an exterior detail. Making $300 is easy to do.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

very cool. i jsut went into my garage and cleaned out any product i thought was crappy (including bogus applicator pads that were part of a bs package). heres what i thought was worth saving:

klasse all in one paint cleaner (that red bottle, will use this as a polish to remove swirls i assume)

klass paint sealent

some klasse products for wheels

2 bottles of meguirs scratchx

armor all upholstry cleaner

meguirs quick detailer spray wax

2 bottles of menzerna car shampoo

turtle tire shine (works good enuff for me)

a few spray cans of very good window cleaner, might have been from PAC.com

black magic interior cleaner (spray bottle)

i may be leaving some things out, but those are the basics, i will be buying some new waffle weave microfibers. i will also be purchasing the PC and wolfgang leather care conditioner.

i beleive the black magic stuff is fine for the interior (please correct me if i am wrong) and i can use regular cotton towels for cleaning the leather, ya? here is what my shopping cart looks like as of now

http://community.webshots.com/photo/465952013hEtoBW

since i am new with a porter cable, should i order any additional accesories? is what comes with the PC by itself at premium auto care good enough to last me for a while or do i nee dmore pads and whatnot?

thanks a lot for all your help OC, u will make me feel satisfied with my legacy again :lol:

edit- i am actually thinking of buying a porter cable now, i was a n00b when i bought most of car caring sutff a while back, i think i want a fresh start. if i buy a porter acable and all the proper car cleaning products, do you think i have a shot at removing some of those swirls? or is it strictly a proffesional's job?

mmanus88, check out my thread..Good info if you want to make a 7424 purchase.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19735

OK, here is the official inventory of what I have in the garage. EDIT- With New Order!

-1 Klasse All In One (I use this for swirl removal, right?)

-1 Klass High Gloss Sealent Glaze (Use this after the All In One for more shine and durability, right?)

-1 Meguir's Quick Wax Spray

-1 Sonus High Gloss Acrylic Spritz (I have no idea what this is for)

-2 Meguir's Scratch X

- 1 Sonus Songel Wheel Cleaner

- 1 Black Magic Professional Rubber/Vinyl Cleaner (Is this stuff any good?)

- 1 Armor All Oxi Magic Carpet + Upholstry Cleaner (Is this stuff any good?)

- 2 Mezerna Washing Shampoos

- A bunch of cotton/terry towels and microfibers that I still need to clean.

-Porter Cable 7424 Polisher with FREE 6 INCH COUNTERWEIGHT!

-Big Blue II Microfiber Chamois

-Super Soft Waffle Weave Microfiber Towel 16"x24"

-Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner 16 Ounce

-7 1/2 Inch, Advanced C.P. Red Finishing Pad

-7 1/2 Inch Advanced C.P. White Polishing Pad

-6" Inch Flexible Backing Plate For Dual Action Polishers

-Poorboys SSR1 16 Ounce

-Poorboys SSR2 16 Ounce

ok, dropped $225 shipped on the new stuff, not bad i guess. i opted not to buy that gloss enhancer and autoshampoo OC, felt it wasn't completely nesecary i wanna use up everything i got (which is a lot) first. i'm sure the difference won't be noticeable to me. Alls i need now is a plan :) i think i pretty much got the interior covered as far as product and technique (i think i have all product covered :lol: ) but for exterior, heres what i'm thinking to do once a week (step by step process):

I read your article on exterior detailing. Just a bit about myself so you know what i'm looking for: I love a shiny clean car, but i am not a complete fantatic to the point of distinguishing between 2 different sorts of wet glossy looks. I dont have a wax currently, and i feel that, after reading your article, the Klass SG will work fine until the bottle is empty. I will wash the car first with the shampoo. To get rid of scratches, I will do SSR1 then SSR2, and then my standard routine will begin (after every water shampooing). A coat of Klass All In One. A coat of Klasse SG and thats about it on the outside, I beleive for someone like me that will suffice and still leave my car looking great. I have meguirs mits already and will use them to wash the car. I will use my waffle and big blue to dry the car. I will use my other micros for cleaning the leather and console.

Everything sound coposcetic? I'm pretty exciting that I may never have to look at another detailer again :)

Thanks for all your help, any imput in appreciated.

Mike

BTW the glass cleaner i have is stone invisible, veyr good stuff. I assume i can jsut use cotton towels to clean my glass, and that everything else should be dried/cleaned with microfiber, correct?

I also assume that any of the exterior stuff for the paint (sealent, waxes, all in one) can be applied via PC? and could someone give me a brief how to concerning applying with the PC? a link to an article would be fine.

again, a lot of questions i know, but i have always been in the dark concerning proper car care. i want my car to last and i feel i should know practically everything about detailing :)

All In One is a chemical cleaner. It doesn't have any abrasives that would assist in swirl removal. What I would suggest is Poorboy's SSR2 followed by SSR1. That works every time at removing swirls. I would get a bottle of Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer too. You get another free Microfiber with that. You get a free high quality wash mitt if you get the Four Star Ultimate Auto Wash too. You can never have too many microfibers and you can never have high enough quality washing and drying tools. Since that is where most swirls come from, getting the best wash mitt and the best drying towel is important. Other than those two things I'd say your list looks pretty good. Remember that if you order this weekend then you get the free shipping on top of your Legacy GT 10% discount. I'm tellin ya... this is a good weekend to be shopping for detailing supplies. :) You have a great list there. It's going to be Christmas in October around your house soon. By all means, Buy Now!

Edit: As far as your sealant goes, I really think you will be happier with a bottle of Wolfgang sealant than you will with the Klasse Sealant Glaze, but winter is coming and SG is good for protection. You might want to think about getting a bottle for summer though. I haven't used anything that compares to the look of Wolfgang.

OCDETAILS BLOG

lol Questions are what I live for. I wouldn't hold out any hope that anybody can tell you everything about detailing though. I'm still learning new things every time I detail a car, so if you do find someone that knows it all, then point me in that direction. :lol:

PC operation is one article that I haven't gotten around to writing yet. This is one that should do the trick though. I doubt that I'll get more detailed than that when I do my article.

Invisible Glass is great glass cleaner. I have a microfiber towel specifically for glass, but any lint free towel will work just as well.

Most liquid products can be applied by PC. Klasse SG cannot be used by a PC though. It needs to be 'wiped' on with a dry applicator. A PC wouldn't be able to do that. AIO, Wolfgang, or any other liquid wax can be applied with the machine though. You don't really gain anything other than saving time. Swirl removal must be done with a machine, but everything else is just faster.

OCDETAILS BLOG

very nice! it says on the all in one bottle that it is a polisher as well.... would it give me a sort of wax look? basically could i get away with a good looking car by just using the all in one every time? from what i read i can use it as a wax, basically, and since its non abrasive i can use it as often as i want. and can i use the PC with all in one? please confirm, OC. should be the last of my questions...

for tonight :p

and i foudna bottle of four start paint protector, shoudl last me for a bit, wha ti wanna do is just use up the spray wax i have (just spray it onto PC pad i would think it will work) then get some relaly good stuff. cars have to be the most expensive hobby, right next to doing coke.

AIO is nice looking by itself, but it is primarily a cleaner and doesn't really offer much by way of protection or shine. If it looks better after AIO then it is because you are looking at really clean paint. Definitely put the Four Star product on top for a good shine. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. It can be applied by hand or PC. It is much faster and more effective on oxidation if you use the the PC, but it is possible to do deep cleaning by hand with AIO if need be.

Just to give you an example of the cleaning power of AIO with a PC check out these pictures.

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/AIOside2.jpg

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/HalfAndHalf2.jpg

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/beforeaftercivic.jpg

AIO is powerful stuff. It won't hurt paint that doesn't need it, so don't worry about that. It gives your sealant a super clean surface to bond to though. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

yep, was reading

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-klasse.html

said i just need to use the polisher pad on the PC when applying AIO, too bad i didn't get the microfiber bonnet for the SG applying through the PC, or can i really do that without worry with anotehr pad i bought at premium auto care? ( i mimicked that shopping cart u made up at one pint).

Forget about applying SG with a PC. It is not worth it. Wipe it on in straight lines and do it by hand. If you have a pad that you got from PAC then you should be fine. SG works best if you apply it by hand.

OCDETAILS BLOG

very cool, i am excited about getting my new equipment (coming thursday). i have my friend's lincoln to test this stuff on :) and we said that if we can get good at this stuff we could start a little detailing thing on our own, plenty of kids in teh school that don't know how to take care of their cars. thanks for all your help OC, will post pics of before after on my car and my friend's lincoln.

i was reading that poorboys can be used on glass, does that mean i can get some minor scratches out of my winshield/sunroof? if so, i am guesnsing i use ssr1? or how would the process go if it is indeed possible, and would i se the PC for it?

Glass is significantly harder than paint is. I really don't know of a product I would recommend for this. I know of several for cleaning water spots and serious contamination, but those products won't remove scratches. If you do decide to try polishing out the glass with the PC, then just make sure you tape off the rubber seal around the sunroof. You don't want to be getting polish on that. It is a pain to clean.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived