LegacyGT.com

94 Legacy, are the head gasket kits interchangeable between Turbo & NA?

My 94 Legacy Turbo 2.2l finally cracked one of the heads. Made it to just shy of 220k. We think we have the heads, amazingly enough they didn't take long to find, unlike so many other parts for this car. If you own one you know what I mean!

However, my son has not been able to find a head gasket kit for the turbo. Was there a separate one for this or is it the same gasket for both turbo and NA versions?

Thanks!

I would not run one from an NA. They are thinner and will blow out pretty early on in their life.... IIRC you can use wrx ones and thatll work but you might have to look around a bit. I think the only difference between those ones is with the sti and wrx. because of the different blocks (yours and the wrx is semi open deck and the sti is closed deck)

im assuming you have the EJ22T motor, and those head gaskets are all over ebay. being a closed deck engine, yours is much different from the EJ22 in 95 and up. go to ebay and do a search for EJ22T head gasket and you should find what you need.

• The '91-'94 EJ22T is a closed-deck block.
  • It's NOT the same as the NA (non-aspirated) 2.2 in the '90-'98 Legacy/Impreza, so you must use the EJ22T specific head gasket, P/N: 11044AA282. About $55 each last time I checked on Ebait.

• Search online as some Subaru dealers' pricing is better.

• You might find it on Cometic's site as well - and cheaper.

• The EJ205 '02-'05 is an open-deck WRX; '06+ WRX Ej255 and STi EJ257 are semi-closed-deck blocks. Head gaskes are not compatible between these and EJ22T.

I did wind up buying the Cometic gaskets. I have all necessary parts on the way, found a good set of heads (6 hour drive later, luckily son has a Subie too!) which will go to the machine shop once I have the cam shaft & valve head seals. We're also replacing timing belt, water pump, and all hoses.

Now that we know we can get everything my brother and son will start the tear down on Saturday. My bum legs don't allow for working on cars much anymore.

Thanks again for all your help!

Archived