LegacyGT.com

Legacy Struts on my Outback

Hi guys,

I own a 2nd Gen 2002 Outback. I am looking to lower it this summer and I have seen some people say the Legacy struts/springs would be a direct bolt on swap and it wouldn't need any modification.

Can anyone verify this? I am looking to go higher in the winter, and lower in the summer.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

There's a ton of threads in here about this exact thing. From what I've seen, it's a direct fit. Should lower your ride height about 1 1/2 -2 inches.

Use the search bar, I'm sure you'll find a definite answer from some other threads. Good luck

There's a ton of threads in here about this exact thing. From what I've seen, it's a direct fit. Should lower your ride height about 1 1/2 -2 inches.

Use the search bar, I'm sure you'll find a definite answer from some other threads. Good luck

Thank you, I will look.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

If you like bump steer, then just swapping in Legacy struts is fine. If you want it to drive like a stock Legacy, you will also need to remove the body spacers between the subframes, replace the driveline, transmission crossmember, trailing arm pockets, rear upper control arms, rear bumpstops, steering column, rag joint and radiator hoses. There's probably a couple small things I'm forgetting.

I have the Legacy struts on my 04 3.0 sedan but it doesn't track very well because the suspension and steering geometry is now out of wack. Rough road makes the car dart back and forth in the lane. Just a heads up.

If you like bump steer, then just swapping in Legacy struts is fine. If you want it to drive like a stock Legacy, you will also need to remove the body spacers between the subframes, replace the driveline, transmission crossmember, trailing arm pockets, rear upper control arms, rear bumpstops, steering column, rag joint and radiator hoses. There's probably a couple small things I'm forgetting.

I have the Legacy struts on my 04 3.0 sedan but it doesn't track very well because the suspension and steering geometry is now out of wack. Rough road makes the car dart back and forth in the lane. Just a heads up.

Oh jeeze.. That's a lot of stuff I don't know how to do.

Sent from my Nexus 6P

It might be different on a Outback since it is about 200 pounds heavier than the Leggy Brighton. Yes, there is a difference, less understeer, almost neutral, becoming oversteer near the limit.

You wanted to see a picture, here it is:

http://media5002.dropshots.com/photos/1325961/20150810/b_104717.jpg

I've swapped Leggy struts into my 2002 Outback (kept the Outback springs) and it seems to handle fine. I use the OEM Outback wheels with 215-55-R16 tires. I would like to eventually take out the sub-frame spacers but as Caboobaroo mentioned, there are several other things that must change in the driveline too. I thought it was the steering rack that needed swapping, not steering column... but I can't remember where I read that.

Archived