LegacyGT.com

Alarm problems!?

Hey i have a 2000 subaru legacy wagon and everytime i turn the key the lights on the dash will flash aswell as the front and back lights, there is no alarm sounds thankfully though. I have tried disconnecting the negative and turning the key to the ON positive and reconnecting it but they just start flashing again as soon as it reconnects. I also do not have an operational key fob, please help!

turn the key on and off 3 times in quick succession.

or use your key fob to ''unlock'' the door before you start the car.

apparently the ''key on/ battery connect'' does not work on 00+ cars.

for 00 - 04 cars,

the alarm is always on,

unless you put it in ''valet mode''.

you cannot unlock the car with the key with out setting off the alarm, if so equipped,

or blinking lights as you describe if you have ''remote entry'' with no alarm.

you can buy a key fob off ebay .

What is valet mode? And so turning the key to the on and back to off 3 times quickly before starting the car will stop the light blinking? I had the key fob working when i bought the car but it hasnt been working lately, the car would still blink before even if i unlocked it with the keyless entry

Ok i went there and found my year and it says to turn it to on and off three times like you said and that the car will start on the fourth time, how will the car start in the ON position? I have turned the key to ON position and back to OFF quickly three to five times and the car does not start and the lights continue to blink. Is there anything under the dash with the fuses/security system that i have to fool around with?

i don't think you are doing it right.

go from off to run and back 3 times.

then go all the way to start.

it should start.

do you have trouble starting it now?

or does it start AND the lights blink?

i would replace the battery in your key fob and use it.

getting into ''programming mode'', if needed, can be tricky.

getting into ''valet'' mode can too.

the 3 on/offs should fix it.

of course if someone has screwed up the wiring,

maybe disconnecting the ECU every time the key goes off,

then maybe that could be an issue.

how long have you had the car?

has it always done this?

when did it start doing this?

what other service or repairs did you do around the time this started?

Just bought the car not too long ago from a private dealer, its been like it since i got it, there is no sound when the lights blink and they start to blink when you turn it to the ON position, then you can turn the car on or back to OFF but they continue to blink. I just replaced battery in the key fob it isnt a OEM one so ofcourse it barely ever works im having intermittent issues sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt so ill have to pick up one off ebay. I was trying to get it into programming mode for half an hour... I dont know if the previous owner disconnected the horn to the keyless entry or something but the horn never honks after i turn the key on and off 10 times in 15 seconds...i might take it to subaru and get them to look it over because i dont know if theres aftermarket alarm/keyless entry i looked under dash and eveeything looks factory i couldnt find any reset buttons on anything either, i even tried pulling keyless entry fuse when the lights are blinking like a video on youtube suggested but still nothing has worked. No problems starting the car and yes the lights blink after it is started probably for a minute then they stop. I have tried the ON then OFF 3 times then to start and the car starts but lights continue to blink. I swear i was doing it right to get it into progrsmming mode but is there a way to disarm the horn from honking to signal programming mode? Because that also might be the case and would like to get that back so i am able to tell when i am doing it correctly..

have you tried to re program the remote to it? I got a replacement remote off of Amazon for $15 used and it works great. The original remote decided to intermittently work and it was a pita to get in the car and turn the key on and off 3 times to silence the alarm.

to program

1. Open and close driver door (the door open light has to come on/off on the cluster).

2. Put the key into ignition.

3. Turn the key ON LOCK 10 times in 15 seconds, leaving the key in LOCK position (do not take the key out).

4. Horn will sound once to indicate you are in remote programing mode (if the horn does not sound start over).

5. Open and close the driver door (this has to be done within 45 seconds of step 4).

6. Press and release any button on the remote.

7. Horn will sound 2 times to indicate that the remote has been programed.

8. If you have more remotes, repeat steps 8 to 10 (up to 4 remotes could be programed).

9. Remove the key from ignition.

10. Horn will sound 3 times to indicate the completion of the procedure.

[ame=http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B017JI3RC8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00]Amazon.com : 2 Button 1999-2004 Subaru Impreza Outback Keyless Remote A269zua111 : Car Electronics[/ame]

http://cars101.com/keyless.html#alpine

i told you getting into programming was difficult.

i suggest you read all of the info on the linked page.

the details are important.

all i can recommend is to try again.

sorry i can't help more.

i seem to remember that if you mess up when trying to get into programming mode,

you have to wait before you try again.

i don't know why or even if it is true,

but that is what i remember.

Yes i have tried but horn never honks as stated above, i believe either last owner somehow disconnected that horn sound somehow or my ignition switch is messed up and wont send the signal that it went to ON and LOCK 10 times. The last option is that it will not enter programming mode because step 1 in the drivers manual says disable the alarm but everytime i turn the key to the ON position the alarm will start going off ( no beeping horn just parking lights flashing and dash cluster clicking/flashing for about a minute ). I am going to pick up new key fobs soonbut i feel that they will be useless if the alarm keeps going off and i cannot get into programming mode.. I checked and there is no alarm fuse or anything i can pull, please help getting these lights to stop flashing everytime i go to start the car! ( i seen people saying their alarm goes off when they open their door manually, mine does not it only starts when the key is turn to ON, even ACC the alarm doesnt start.)

I will keep trying to get into it but i dont know if i will be able to if the alarm keeps going off, if somehow i manage to get the horn to honk i will get new fobs because even if i get through the process my fob barely ever works so when i go to click the button to program it, it probably wont even register. (I turn the key as fast as humanly possible waaaay more times then 10 in 15 seconds yet no luck)

Hang in there bro, I have a 99 Legacy SUS sedan w/ the code alarm. It goes off randomly and when my neighbor uses his keyless, (2015 Chevrolet) also my buddy has a 14 Silverado and he loves setting my alarm off w/ his keyless. I am trying all the programming tricks with little success and this alarm is LOUD. I take my remote to bed w/ me so I can stop it when it goes off. I read about some guy whose alarm sounded when he used his blender...... it is a BIG pain. Using the instructions on the site mentioned requires patience & attention to detail. HEY... Have you seen the Geico commercial w/ the tiny car where the alarm goes off....... that sets off my internal Oh %%%% meter every time.... It is exactly the same as mine. HATE IT !

I have a 99 Legacy SUS sedan w/ the code alarm. It goes off randomly and when my neighbor uses his keyless, (2015 Chevrolet) also my buddy has a 14 Silverado and he loves setting my alarm off w/ his keyless.
usually this can be corrected.

it happened to mt 97GT and my wife's 2010 chevy company car.

the Code alarm system can handel up to 4 remotes.

if 4 remotes are not programmed into the system,

(if some of the memory slots are empty)

chevy / GM alarm keyfobs can cause the alarm to sound.

just reprogram the system in your car until all 4 slots are filled.

example: one remote 4 times,

or one remote 3 times and another remote once, etc.

hth

good luck.

Yes i have tried but horn never honks as stated above, i believe either last owner somehow disconnected that horn sound somehow or my ignition switch is messed up and wont send the signal that it went to ON and LOCK 10 times. The last option is that it will not enter programming mode because step 1 in the drivers manual says disable the alarm but everytime i turn the key to the ON position the alarm will start going off ( no beeping horn just parking lights flashing and dash cluster clicking/flashing for about a minute ). I am going to pick up new key fobs soonbut i feel that they will be useless if the alarm keeps going off and i cannot get into programming mode.. I checked and there is no alarm fuse or anything i can pull, please help getting these lights to stop flashing everytime i go to start the car! ( i seen people saying their alarm goes off when they open their door manually, mine does not it only starts when the key is turn to ON, even ACC the alarm doesnt start.)

turn the key on and off 3 times and the alarm will stop

then

follow the programming instructions I gave above. I KNOW they work as that is how I programmed my replacement remote to the car (2K3 legacy)

Horn works, and turning the key on and off 3 times does not work, i have tried every possible way aswell as trying to get into programming mode with no luck. I spent atleast a couple hours in my car trying to try the on and off three times thatnever works, and im pretty sure i cant get into programming mode because everytime the key is turned to the ON position the lights flash for about 2 minutes then stop, doesnt matter if you turned the key back to off or started the car they continue to blink. Really starting to hope this isnt a electrical issue or previous owner snipping wires or something. So how is the most detailed way to do the on and off three times? Do i turn the key to the on position to start the lights flashing then go from off to on three times or do turn the key all the way and start the car on the third time? I have seen different instructions people saying on and off three times then others say the car is supposed to start on the third time

Hey Vinny, Have you identified the exact alarm system you have? I know there are some "gaps" in the MY & type installed. If it is the Code alarm(like mine) or the Alpine, there are differences. During some research I stumbled across this site, it may be useful. Personally, I would avoid the dealer, try getting a price from a specialty shop and then a quote from the dealer. Good luck!

http://www.randomsoup.com/subie/huggyalarm.html

**** Johnegg*** I haven't had a chance yet to try the multi programming but wanted to say, I appreciate your input and will hopefully get in there this week. It's my daughters car, so it isn't driven every day and since I keep it in valet mode and do not use the keyless, it helps reduce "set-offs", except for my neighbor.

I have looked under the dash and glove compartment i see boxes but they look like factory mounting. I also have no idea what im looking for lol. Its just black boxes i dont know which one is the correct one

Hi Vinny, First you need to identify the specific alarm you have. If you have one made by Code(mfg), try to find the programming button, it is located under the dash board, knee panel height near where your left knee would be. The button is smaller than a cigarette filter and is tucked in a round protective open ended "cap" so it can't be accidentally touched. I had to get under there with a flashlight to find mine, sometimes it's just stuck up there rather than mounted. I don't know if the other alarm types have this button but I will assume they do based on the responses here. Until you know what alarm brand you have, you might not be "programming" correctly. I would guess that your alarm is going off but the "siren" has been disconnected or wiring cut. The lights are flashing to signal an alarm event has occurred and the long flashing may actually be an alarm "sounding" without the noise. Good luck.

Yes thats what i thought it was, and ok ill have to take a look ive looked under before for that button and no luck finding it ill have to try again. Are you sure its on 2000+? I remember reading somewhere that the reset btton for the alarm under the dash stopped in '99..

• 1 month later...

Hi Vinny - just following up to see if you have made any progress?

I have a 99 SUS and had lots of difficulties getting the fobs programmed I purchased from eBay. What worked for me - look in your owners manual for directions about programming sequence / procedure. My biggest challenge was getting it out of valet mode and into programming mode. The secret that worked was after driving the vehicle about 30 minutes, shut off the car and immediately tried the programming mode sequence and it WORKED this time (cycling the ignitian switch 10 times). Maybe this will help others?

If you did figure it out, please share it. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Vinny, I hope this helps you, I just found it when I saw the part# on my Alarm Control Unit(ACU for Code alarm), on my 99 Legacy sdn. I searched the part number and this came up. I am not a good electrical guy and the video doesn't explain the whole process,(imo), or maybe the solution is "obvious" for a more knowledgeable DIYselfer, anyway it seems logical and it is my next step. I'm going to have my mechanic watch the video ... doooh ;{

• 3 months later...

FINALLY...:lol:John you were correct. I found the CODE alarm mfg's installation instructions on the scoobymods site. The CODE alarm requires the use of the reset/programming button under the dash. I followed the programming guide dutifully and it worked, you can then use the install troubleshoot info to assure all is correct. We have gone without a surprise alarm for over three weeks. I am not claiming full victory yet, since my buddy along with the neighbors friend has not been over and both of those fobs were sure fire intruders. On a lighter note: the sound of a similar alarm usually gets me ALERT! hopefully that will wear off soon :eek:.

LINK TO CODE ALARM INFO: http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/impreza-alarm-82.html?t=82

usually this can be corrected.

it happened to mt 97GT and my wife's 2010 chevy company car.

the Code alarm system can handel up to 4 remotes.

if 4 remotes are not programmed into the system,

(if some of the memory slots are empty)

chevy / GM alarm keyfobs can cause the alarm to sound.

just reprogram the system in your car until all 4 slots are filled.

example: one remote 4 times,

or one remote 3 times and another remote once, etc.

hth

good luck.

Archived