LegacyGT.com

Huge problem, simple solution!

Hi, to catch everyone reading up to speed I have a 1999 Subaru legacy l with a 2.2 that I bought a few months ago. It was dirt cheap one owner low miles. With a blown auto. So I decided to take on a conversion and boy what a head ache it has been on the wiring side of things. So where I am at right now is the car runs and drives but I have no speedo and the car still believes its an automatic. I only have one question. Is there a major wiring difference between the Federal emissions ECU and the California emissions? I've been reading pinouts that only lead me to ghost codes so they were clearly the incorrect pinouts, when I went to replace my iac valve last week I realized that my car is a California emissions. Which may be why I am having so many issues. If anyone has knowledge on this topic please let me know! It's been months and this still isn't sorted. If you even have where I can get a California emissions pinout I'd appreciate it. That's all I really need. Thanks in advance everyone! And someone please help!

• 2 weeks later...

The manual/auto clusters are different because the autos say PRND321 in the center, but the ECU's should be different as well

In other car models (not sure about ours) there are more O2 sensors for CA models, which would mean possibly a different ECU.

i usually don't do this since i have no first hand experience,

but my understanding is that the ECUs are the same.

or at least are interchangeable.

any differences are in the harness, certainn pins are ''grounded out''

this tells the ecu your car is a manual trans.

or something like that.

you need to do some more research.

this has been done before and a ''how to'' posted .

you don't need to figure this out by yourself ,

you just need to know how to do it.

try searching other sites like ultimatesubaru.org

Archived