LegacyGT.com

H6 no power/ torque from stop or going uphill

Hi gang, I just picked up a 2002 h6 legacy outback LL bean version 140,000 miles. got a really good buy on it as P.O. wasn't able to get it running correctly. Issue is it has no torque. starting out from a dead stop, it feels like I have to get out and push to get it going, once going on a flat normal highway, it will run along pretty well. not overheating or anything. when I come to a hill, it starts slowing down going up over it. P.O. had changed plugs, removed exhaust @ manifolds to see if it was cat, put seafoam in gas, new fuel filter, checked fuel pump, checked erg sensor, and maybe a few others im missing. is there anything that's pretty common that would cause such issues? I dropped it off at a garage that specializes in Subaru to see what they think, but they of course aren't open right now. just looking for ideas, some hills it wouldn't even go up over without a run at it!!

Thanks

Is the transmission slipping maybe? I would think this is the first thing to check. You didn't mention if the engine was revving without moving the car. The 4eat is pretty reliable but it isn't bulletproof.

The only issue I have heard of engine wise is the chain tensioners needing replacing but it isn't a consistent issue. Try cleaning the throttle body and the MAF if it has one. Did he change the plugs trying to fix the issue or just because? They could be gapped incorrectly. There aren't too many other things that wouldn't set a CEL.

when was the trans fluid and filter changed? I would start there. Also I notice that the e4at takes quite a bit of pedal before it will decide to downshift. How does the car respond when you manually drop it into 3rd when going up a hill? if it downshifts and starts going normally it's not a slipping issue.

Changed plugs trying to fix issue, transmission was working fine, forgot to mention he had it put on a computer and 3 clys are mis firing right side as you look at car or drivers side. im hoping something simple like coil packs he didnt change those, he looked at them and said they looked ok, but that really dosent mean anything

Check spark, fuel, air. Inspect the electrical system to the plugs as well and ensure the grounding is good. Check the battery for good measure as well.

Since you have one non-misfiring cylinder, swap that coil pack over to one of the three misfiring. If that code doesn't move, try the fuel injector as well.

If you don't get any result, perform a compression test.

Plugs are cheap, but don't get a coil pack until you've checked compression.

You didn't mention in the OP that there were CELs present, that would have been helpful to know ;)

So get the codes read and post them up that will help us help you.

Edited-after reading a lengthy article on obd2 misfire detection, I think you should check the compression to be sure and also test the coil packs and pull the plugs to verify they are good and gapped correctly. Since you will have to pull them anyway to check the compression.

http://www.underhoodservice.com/tech-feature-detecting-misfires-in-obd-ii-engines/

Changed plugs trying to fix issue, transmission was working fine, forgot to mention he had it put on a computer and 3 clys are mis firing right side as you look at car or drivers side. im hoping something simple like coil packs he didnt change those, he looked at them and said they looked ok, but that really dosent mean anything

post up the pictures of the old plugs so we can see what is going on with them

Archived