LegacyGT.com

Perrin Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulator

My 2005 OBXT has larger aftermarket turbo/injectors/Walboro pump/tune/etc. For quite some time, I have noticed a very annoying RPM pulse at light throttle which makes it accel/decel repeatedly at lower RPM (quite unpleasant in parking lots). I had the fuel line extension on for quite a while before taking it off when I put the master cylinder brace on. It didn't seem to change anything, in any case.

For various reasons, I also have a Perrin Adjustable Fuel Regulator sitting around from another project, which is now sitting idle. I am not certain if fuel pressure is the issue or not, but since I have this unit sitting in a box of parts untouched and without a future, I am thinking of replacing my OEM dampers/regulator with the Perrin unit. I haven't seen many reviews of it in general, even on NASIOC and IWSTI (I suppose because they're new-ish?) Perrin also states that it is explicitly for 08+ STi's, but I dont' see any reason why it would not function on the LGT's or OBXT's.

1) Has anyone installed one of these or have first-hand experience? Any thoughts?

2) Is there any reason why it cannot (or should not) be installed on a 2005 OBXT? Other than the semi-outrageous list price, is there any reason why no one seems to use them?

3) Should the pressure screw be adjusted out of the box?

Please see the post below. With bigger pump and injectors, OEM fuel pressure regulator will cause issues. I have fuel lab FPR and 07 STI style in-line fuel damper on my car, I wish I have dyno data but the graphs I saw show that fuel pressure is significantly more stable compared to OEM FPR. As a result, the lean spot around 5000-5500 rpm is gone, and tip in throttle feels better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fueling-issues-5000-rpm-222707.html

Please see the post below. With bigger pump and injectors, OEM fuel pressure regulator will cause issues. I have fuel lab FPR and 07 STI style in-line fuel damper on my car, I wish I have dyno data but the graphs I saw show that fuel pressure is significantly more stable compared to OEM FPR. As a result, the lean spot around 5000-5500 rpm is gone, and tip in throttle feels better.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fueling-issues-5000-rpm-222707.html

what pressure are you running at?

i have 05 obxt with DW 850cc & DW65c i used 04 sti regulator and completely remover the whole stock assembly, its much simpler now and runs smoother. here is a pic of part number for regulator and connector ends so you can plumb it all up. if you search i did an install how to a while back

490912787_fprlineends.thumb.jpg.74b7e42ea7455d1a9d26c1e708108c3a.jpg

Install is fairly simple. Helped a friend install on his STI. Comes with different orrifices (spelling??) to change fuel pressure. But he left his with the one that came on it. One thing you need to check is make sure all ports are tight. They were loose when we started doing the install.

One thing that didn't work out so well was we had to flip the lines that came with it. He has a Perrin master cylinder brace so we had to make a one off bracket and find a way to essentially make it work. Another, the fuel lines are crossed. Feeds on the bottom and returns on top. Silly design and looks weird.. But overall wasn't bad to install.

As for working on outback or LGT.. No clue. To be safe, I would install an FP gauge and make sure it's running at the correct fuel pressure.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived