LegacyGT.com

White smoke and water out of exhaust - video attached

So got back from shopping today and noticed white smoke coming out of exhaust and dripping water from one side, car had been driven for about 35 min, and was up to temperature.

There is nothing in the oil, and the water level has not dropped since I got the head gaskets replaced about 4 weeks ago.

Is this normal?

I watched the video. The vapor doesn't look thick enough to be coolant. That doesn't mean there may not be a problem developing, so keeping an eye on the coolant level is always a good idea.

If it was coolant it would look more like this:

And you would be able to smell the coolant in the vapor.

One of the byproducts of gasoline engine combustion is water, which comes out as vapor. There is a little oxygen and hydrogen in the fuel. Also, an engine is running it is breathing in the air around it, with lots more oxygen and hydrogen. The more humid the air the more water vapor is ingested. As the fuel and air is burned, so is the moisture in the incoming air, as the hydrogen and oxygen molecules separate.

As the combustion byproducts pass through the exhaust they get cleaned up some in the catalyst, and then pass along to the mufflers and outlets. The gases cool along the way, and the hydrogen and oxygen recombine back into water and water vapor.

So water vapor will come out of the exhaust. Sometimes more, sometimes less, sometimes not at all. It all depends on how much water vapor is in the air, the air temperature, etc.

Awesome thanks guys! It hasn't used a drop of coolant in the last 1000km, so figured it was ok....i've just moved here from australia, and not used to these crazy cold temperatures!

Another trip to the snow today, legacy handled packed snow, loose snow, dirty snow like a dream!

Awesome thanks guys! It hasn't used a drop of coolant in the last 1000km, so figured it was ok....i've just moved here from australia, and not used to these crazy cold temperatures!

Another trip to the snow today, legacy handled packed snow, loose snow, dirty snow like a dream!

it's made for that ;)

Archived