LegacyGT.com

New Subaru owner. 2003 Legacy L with questions...

Got my first Subaru today in a 2003 Legacy L. Although I was told the head-gaskets, timing/other belts were changed, I'm having the Subaru dealership do a complete front to back inspection (which is apparently free with an oil change). Want to make sure the AWD system is in perfect working order.

As my car did not come with a service/owner's manual, I've got some questions:

- Is there specific places people are buying used and new parts from (some other car forums have specific places to get new and used parts from)?

- The driver's side mirror is cracked. Can the glass part of the mirror be replaced or does the whole mirror assembly have to be replaced?

- The trunk appears to be leaking from somewhere as the middle of the carpet is soaked where the trunk latches. Simple seal replacement?

- The wind noise is LOUD coming from both doors (mainly by the tweeters). Seal replacement there also I presume? And where to buy for both doors and trunk?

- I'm still looking, but where do I find the OEM door speaker size (needs new speakers)?

- There is some "junk" stuck to the clear lens of the instrument cluster. If I replace it with another IC, will the mileage be stored in the computer or within the IC itself?

- Where do I find other information to find out the power ratio (front to rear i.e. 90/10, 60/40, etc.) in Drive "2" and Drive "1"?

That's it for now. Car and transmission seem to be operating well. Those are the important parts.

Thank you for taking the time to read and respond. Very much appreciated. :)

It sounds like we bought the same car just a different times...

if the dealership is doing a free inspection, then they are probably just looking for leaks and kicking some tires. a real test to do is called a leak down test. this checks every cylinder for head gasket leaking, intake and exhaust valve leaking, and excessive piston ring leaks. but to be absolutely sure about the piston rings you need to have a compression test done. which im sure those test wont be covered by a free inspection. i will for sure do those test from now on the next subaru i buy.

you can replace just the glass on the mirror, i found a steep by step some where on the internet but i don't think it was here.

there are people here that sell some used parts and new, but i usually get in off rock auto or just local subaru specialty shops sell reconditioned things most of the time.

do a search here for "window gusset replacement" for the wind noise you are hearing and i think someone has done a write up on it.

my trunk was leaking too and still kind of is i just used silicon to seal the problem. its kind of difficult but i was laying in my trunk as someone went around the outside edge with a flashlight to see exactly where the rubber seal was no longer working. just a thought or you can try and replace the whole thing.

Thanks for the reply. The car did have a leak-down test already done along with smoothing the heads. Receipt was provided, as well as other work done.

I specifically asked the dealership to inspect the engine to make sure no fluids were leaking, check the AWD system to make sure it was functioning normally.

I did find a used glass for the mirror for $10, and a used instrument cluster on Ebay. It appears, though, that the mileage travels with the cluster, which is absolute absurdity. That should be stored in the car's computer. That's what the computer is for.

It appears, though, that the mileage travels with the cluster, which is absolute absurdity. That should be stored in the car's computer. That's what the computer is for.

you have got to be shitting me, im going to need one shortly since my airbag light is on and its known around here to either solder it or get a new one. thats good to know. looks like ill be doing some soldering.

you have got to be shitting me, im going to need one shortly since my airbag light is on and its known around here to either solder it or get a new one. thats good to know. looks like ill be doing some soldering.

I'm only guessing since Ebay sellers are listing the miles with theirs. That implies to me the miles are stored in the cluster and not the computer.

Other car manufacturers do the same. It's so stupid.

[quote=-BoneZ-

Is there specific places people are buying used and new parts from (some other car forums have specific places to get new and used parts from

- The driver's side mirror is cracked. Can the glass part of the mirror be replaced or does the whole mirror assembly have to be replaced?

- The trunk appears to be leaking from somewhere as the middle of the carpet is soaked where the trunk latches. Simple seal replacement?

- The wind noise is LOUD coming from both doors (mainly by the tweeters). Seal replacement there also I presume? And where to buy for both doors and trunk?

- I'm still looking, but where do I find the OEM door speaker size (needs new speakers)?

- There is some "junk" stuck to the clear lens of the instrument cluster. If I replace it with another IC, will the mileage be stored in the computer or within the IC itself?

- Where do I find other information to find out the power ratio (front to rear i.e. 90/10, 60/40, etc.) in Drive "2" and Drive "1"?

- Call the dealer and get part numbers. then search amazon and ebay for them or equivalent

-You can just get new glass

-Ports could be clogged, use air to blow them clean

-It's old rubber all older subarus have that

-6.5inchs just watch the depth don't get ones to deep.

-don't replace just try and clean it, you can get a place to "Verify" the mileage when you get a new one but it's a pain

-auto is roughly 70/30 in drive and 60/40 in 2 and 1

- Is there specific places people are buying used and new parts from (some other car forums have specific places to get new and used parts from)?

Subarupartsonline?

Yes

maybe, you will have to remove the carpet and make sure none of the seams are broken on the unit body and that any and all plugs are in place

door gussets, youtube that for a temp fix otherwise $85 each to replace yourself

6.5" all of them

remove cluster and clean it reassemble

that is all controlled via wheel slip typical split is 60/40 but about 50% can go rearward if needed

Archived