LegacyGT.com

Who has a built 5EAT?

blough

I am considering a built 5EAT this summer for a 350-400awhp build. I have a 2008 LGT and I was wondering what the Pros/Cons of a built trans would be. I also want to find out how much it will cost me.

Without a solution to increase your 5eat line pressure, you'll burn up your clutch packs pretty fast with 350+ whp. There are things you can do to help your situation, tuning workarounds, internal trans builds, fluid coolers, which will all help a lot. Driving style will make a huge difference too. But at the end of the day you'll have a lot of torque and not enough trans line pressure to hold your clutch packs engaged tightly. People have still done it, but it's a heck of a compromise.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Without a solution to increase your 5eat line pressure, you'll burn up your clutch packs pretty fast with 350+ whp...

I took a quick look through a bunch of your threads Climber, and didnt see anything about line pressure. I have an 05 - 5eat, are you saying there is a way to increase the line pressure on that year? Do you have a thread link to that info? My aging trans is slipping bad in 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

jayrex do you have his upgraded valve body? If so I believe with his mods it ups the line pressure. If you don't have a upgraded valve body I would highly recommend one. Sadly it won't fix a slipping transmission though. Sounds like a rebuild or new transmission is gonna be needed sooner then later.

Thanks Starionesir, this clears up a missing link for me.

I planned on installing the VB mod while I get the clutch packs replaced (very soon). I just didn't know line pressure was the result of the mod. Makes perfect sense really. =P

Slipping started right after a JMP turbo upgrade and etune. The gears just kinda fell like dominoes after that... 5th, 4th, then 3rd. They all still work, but I can break them free easily with about 60% throttle. Can't wait til this is not the 'weak link' anymore.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sorry to thread jack a bit there Blough, your goals are quite similar to mine. Sorry there is no VB mod for yours... yet/ever? =(

I took a quick look through a bunch of your threads Climber, and didnt see anything about line pressure. I have an 05 - 5eat, are you saying there is a way to increase the line pressure on that year? Do you have a thread link to that info? My aging trans is slipping bad in 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

I've mentioned it many times, but there are hundreds if not thousands of posts on transmission modifications from me, would take days to get through, and probably not a great use of time to read the earlier ones where I was still figuring everything out for myself.

Yes lines pressure is THE key to increased clutch pack grip in the 5EAT where it is quite low from the factory due to low factory torque relative to what people are getting with tunes and modifications.

Thanks Starionesir, this clears up a missing link for me.

I planned on installing the VB mod while I get the clutch packs replaced (very soon). I just didn't know line pressure was the result of the mod. Makes perfect sense really. =P

Slipping started right after a JMP turbo upgrade and etune. The gears just kinda fell like dominoes after that... 5th, 4th, then 3rd. They all still work, but I can break them free easily with about 60% throttle. Can't wait til this is not the 'weak link' anymore.

Thanks again for the reply.

Sorry to thread jack a bit there Blough, your goals are quite similar to mine. Sorry there is no VB mod for yours... yet/ever? =(

If you're going to do a rebuild soon for sure, then do that and make sure it was all done 100% correctly before installing the valve body upgrade. This is very important advice.

However, if your goal is to try to milk it for another 10,000 miles, or however long you can, then you would:

1) Install HexMods F1.

2) Replace fluid with new Amsoil ATF.

3) Install a transmission fluid cooler (should do this regardless, no matter what).

4) Toss in a small bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix for Autos. It won't hurt anything, and it could make a noticeable difference on a transmission as fried as yours.

Some customers have done this and gone literally years more before having to replace the transmission. But it really depends on the condition of the clutch packs. They could be soso but slipping due to all the extra torque, or they could just be cooked and slipping because they have little or nothing left to give. If they are completely cooked, then putting an F1 on it would just make your slipping more sporty :lol:

Happy to help, it's what I do

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thank you for the advice ClimberD, I think im going to shoot for 300-320awhp. I will be doing trans cooler/bushings/etc. Still have a lot to learn about these 5EAT's.

Yea you'll learn quickly that 5 or 6mt is the way to go :lol:

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

But how will I eat breakfast and do my makeup while making you eat my dust?:lol:

Steering with left knee, accelerating WOT with right foot, breakfast with left hand, makeup with right hand (using sun visor mirror), mocha with long straw. What could possibly go wrong.

Steering with left knee, accelerating WOT with right foot, breakfast with left hand, makeup with right hand (using sun visor mirror), mocha with long straw. What could possibly go wrong.

Funny you bumped this tonight...

There was a cobalt SS tonight that thought he was hot stuff.:p

I was eating an ice cream cone:lol:

You are brave to eat ice cream in a car!

Cobalt SS is an interesting platform. I realize 99% of them are slow, but there are a bunch out there making more power than anyone with a LGT ever has, for a lot less money. From a roll it would be a bad day. Any kind of launch or turn or breaking though, yeah :lol:

Funny you bumped this tonight...

There was a cobalt SS tonight that thought he was hot stuff.:p

I was eating an ice cream cone:lol:

• 1 month later...

Archived