LegacyGT.com

Do 225/45-17 Azenis rub on a stock GT Sedan?

ChrisK

I'm (still) reading up on exactly what tire I want to get for next summer, and I need a little info from you all.

I'm hoping to get 225/45-17 Azenis RT-615 on my GT Sedan. I'm going to probably end up with either Rota G-Force 17x8's or Rota Tarmac II 17x7.5's, so I want to go a little wider on the tire to protect the rim a bit. (If that's even an issue, I don't know.)

My question is, will a 225/45-17 RT-615 fit on my car without fender modifications? I have a stock suspension, and likely will for the life of the car, except a possible rear sway bar at some point. I know Azenis run quite wide, so I'm particularly worried that I'm going to get rub either autocrossing or hauling the gang to lunch.

If rubbing WILL be a problem with the RT-615 in that size, what would you recommend instead? The RT-615's don't come in 215/45, only 215/40. Is there any RT-615 sizing that would fit a 17x7.5 or 17x8? Is there another tire you'd recommend for autocross and daily driver use? My goals are good tread life (two years would make me happy) given a full season (a dozen events or so) of autocross and daily driving. Wet grip is important to me, but less so than dry grip, and road noise is a consideration, albeit a secondary one. I'm not to concerned about ride comfort, as I run my tires quite low (28psi) on the street, only airing them up to 34-38psi for autocross.

If the Azenis aren't going to cut it with my stock fenders, are there any particular stand-outs you can think of that will fit 17x7.5 and 17x8 without rubbing? Kuhmo MX? Yokohama Advan Neova? Dunlop SP9000?

Thanks!

Archived