LegacyGT.com

Engine swap or head gasket job?

I posted a while back about a head gasket job but have since started considering an engine swapped am looking for a little advice/direction! I have a 2001 legacy l wagon. The interior and exterior are near flawless and has been very well taken care of by a family member before I acquired it. The only real downside is that it has 198,000 miles on the engine. It started overheating and I finally got it diagnosed as a head gasket. Because it's in such good shape (and I love driving it) I don't want to just scrap it so I started looking into doing the head gasket myself. It looks like you can do the head gasket with the engine still in the car but it seems that almost everyone recommends pulling the engine and making it a much easier job. So then I started thinking that if I'm going to pull the engine why not just replace it. Seems like the head gasket job is going to run me close to $500 if I do the work myself. I have found a handful of EJ251 (I believe that's the engine) for $1000-$1500. If I could put a lower mileage engine in for around that price I feel it would be worth the extra money to have the car last a lot longer. So my question is would the swap be worth it vs just doing the head gasket job. If I do decide to do the swap does that price range seem fair for that engine? Thanks for any help, I'm not looking to do anything right now but when I am ready in a few months I want to have an idea of the best path for me to take!

Photocodo

No matter the engine I would always redo the head gaskets on it. Always better to have a engine where you know the history. If yours did over heat I would get one that never did.

Swap it and redo the heads on the swapped lower mileage one for a couple more bucks to ensure you never have a problem. Use the turbo head gaskets, they are crushable and way better than failpro

A well taken care of car will never have the same problem twice.

Archived